chukabocho id

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
I was just sent another knife in the mail and was wondering if anyone has and ID on this it is a chukabocho and is huge. 234mm x 107mm roughly. It has a 4mm x 1mm chip at the heel and a few fleabites on the tip. some rust spots but, no pitting. The edge definitely needs some
stone time. Any help with id would be great and whether or not it would be worth the time and expense to have Dave, Jon or Korin to restore it and get the chips out.
thanks, son

cleaver.jpg

cleaver2.jpg

cleaver3.jpg

Here is my of no help reply, but that sure is pretty. Now I'm drooling again, this place has that effect on me

Why even send it out?The rust is minor,you can reprofile the edge on a diamond plate,clean it up,& put a sharp edge on it.I do not read Kanji,maybe someone else can help you with that.

It is deff. worth keeping,it is Japanese,the Kanji is engraved by hand.I am willing to bet that the steel is very good in that large blade.

No stones other then finishing stones and a king 1k-5k, no diamond plate or anything else and no time(14-16 hour work day 6-7 days a week) and no money. Also, with the surgery done on both of my wrists, prolonged stone work is not in the cards, otherwise I would do all of those things. Oh, I'm sure it's good steel, but if it's a $100 blade I don't want to spend a$100, between shipping, thinning, chip removal and sharpening. That and the fact that I don't really have the cleaver love going on these days.lol I will finish getting all the rust off and rounding of the choil and spine. I just can't work the chips out on the granite slab on the restaurants porch for the next few months because, the owners will be around and so far they haven't figured out why that smooth spot is on the slab in the first place.

Well it's good that the larger chip is in the heel instead of the blade road,just sharpen it the way it is,the micro chips will come out with a couple trips to the stones.Your 1K will put a nice toothy functional cutting edge on that cleaver.

Do not know what kind of cutting you do at work,or how much space you have to work in.I used cleavers alot mostly banquet prep.That is a nice long cleaver,rather flat not too much rocker.alot of blade on the board at once makes a very efficient cutter.A blade like that can smoke a gyuto with many types of prep work,& you have the side of the blade as a spatula.

Back