flattening stone advise

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzb69

Reaction score
sorry for the noob question but i just want some advise on what i should get

would this be good enough to use a flattening stone? or do i have to get an atoma 140? i don't really have a lot of sharpening stones but as everyone knows that a flattener is essential.

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-WM8CX-DuoSharpplus-Extra-Coarse-without/dp/B001EBZOD2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1350401998&sr=8-13&keywords=dmt+extra+coarse

or something like JKI's diamond flattening plate would be okay too?

would this last? most of my stones are 8 inches long so i was thinking of getting that or something longer like the 10inch version of the dmt.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
would getting that be better than the duo version?

i just thought the dimples would probably help with loading up with too much particles and get to have two usable sides (not necessarily as a flattener) instead of just one.

but if you think it's better to get that one instead, i'll opt for it.

Most any advice I got from Rick, I would take. :my2cents:

would getting that be better than the duo version?

i just thought the dimples would probably help with loading up with too much particles and get to have two usable sides (not necessarily as a flattener) instead of just one.

but if you think it's better to get that one instead, i'll opt for it.

The mesh values of the plate you linked to is 60 Micron - 220 Grit (extra coarse) and 45 Micron - 325 Grit (coarse). The D8XX is 120 Micron - 120 Grit. For flattening, I would go with the larger mesh (lower grit value). I bought my D8XX almost four years ago on a recommendation on the 'old' forum (KF). It's still going strong today.

i have both diasharp (in XC) and duosharp plates (C/F). they both work just fine. the coarser stones are faster, of course, but i like having a fine plate available. the diasharp doesn't seem to load any quicker than the duosharp, honestly.

thank you all for your inputs. will put them into consideration.

Another vote for the Dia-Sharp plate. I have the XXC and it does as super job of stone flattening. I do it at the kitchen sink under running water, stone in one hand and the DMT plate in the other. It's hard to believe that the Atoma can do a better job but I haven't used one yet. Many people say it does, maybe someday. ;)

I've had my D8XX around 5 yrs. the 120 grit is good for leveling stones.You should keep it clean,now thanks to some tips here I use Bar Keepers Friend & a stiff fingernail brush,works great,then I set it out in the sun a little while to speed up the drying.

I've had my D8XX around 5 yrs. the 120 grit is good for leveling stones.You should keep it clean,now thanks to some tips here I use Bar Keepers Friend & a stiff fingernail brush,works great,then I set it out in the sun a little while to speed up the drying.

i use BKF on mine, too. i find that rusting carbon steel has a tendency to be transferred from my stones to the diamond plate, and BKF gets it off lickety-split.

thanks for the advise. recently found BKF (although it costs well over twice the price in america) in my country and i've seen it do wonders for my pans and carbon meat cleaver. a sound idea indeed.

Back