Suisin Inox bread knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumbaa

Reaction score
Anyone ever use one of these? I need a new bread knife because my Chroma Porsche SUCKS! The scallops fold over regularly because the steel is so soft. Anyways I am looking for a solid bread knife for not a ton of money. I also know the Tojiro ITk is a worthwhile look, does any one else have any recommendations at around $60 or less?

I love my tojiro. If I had a pile of money I would get the Gude just to have one. Misono also makes an interesting one.

Anyone ever use one of these? I need a new bread knife because my Chroma Porsche SUCKS! The scallops fold over regularly because the steel is so soft. Anyways I am looking for a solid bread knife for not a ton of money. I also know the Tojiro ITk is a worthwhile look, does any one else have any recommendations at around $60 or less?

I've had this knife back when I was working the line, great for harder crusty bread. Has a real toothy bite. Doesn't work well with softer bread, just rips it apart. Had it stolen , never used a bread knife again.

I am a pastry chef and do a ton of portioning, slicing, and breaking down of breads, cakes, and other items that a bread knife is the best solution for me.

I prefer bread knives wt. a little rocker.Three good ones are:

Tojiro ITK 270 not cheap but a good blade.

Mac 10" another expensive good bread knife

The bargin of the bunch Forschner 10.25 Wavy edge Fibrox Handle.Same blade rosewood handle costs more.Don't let the price fool you the 10.25 wavy edge flat out preforms many more expensive bread knives.

I have the Forschner Fibrox, it works very well for a very good price. but the steel is very soft.

that is my thing i use this thing a ton, my chroma porsche just rolls the scallops over. it drives me nuts trying to get them lined up every 2 days. i want something that will handle slicing baguette, foccacia, cake, tarts, and so on.

Get the ITK, I bought one several mOnths ago and love it. Works very well for bread and also for anything with a delicate crust (think braised pork belly that's been breaded and fried). Also works well for meat with a heavy, crusty sear. I'm buying another one sO I don't have to transport it back and forth between work and home.

Oh yeah, it's also the only knife I've bought in the last year that my wife didn't condemn as an unnecessary purchase.

The Japanese knife dealer in Madison, Wisconsin (****) has a new line of AEB-L bread knives. Excellent price.

i know who the dealer in wisconsin and yeah i have one of his aebl artifex knives its good.

i know who the dealer in wisconsin and yeah i have one of his aebl artifex knives its good.

Yea Pumbaa,using it in a bake shop I would think at least 270 for cakes & such.Either the ITK or the AEB-L would be a major step up.I like the scallops all the way to the heel on the AEB-L 270.

I should also mention no cutting on sheetpans,cutting on hard surfaces will damage even the best of steels.

no i only cut on boards i would never cut on metal or plates. i would say that 270 is probably my best bet but i was looking to spend under 60 bucks what does the itk go for?

I thought the AEB-L from Mark was not scalloped but pointy toothed.

The Tojiro I have is great. I'd probably want this over a pointy toothed bread knife for delicate things. Pointy toothed would definitely be a bit less likely to slide on those super thick crusts, though.

I guess the ITK is the best choice now to find it for my budget.

The ITK is at your buget,you do want scallop or as in the forschner wavy edge because they can be sharpened wt. a slip waterstone(japan woodworker).Trend makes a small thin diamond rod that can be used to sharpen a scallop edge.

Heirkb maybe right the AEB-L may not be scallop,if that is the case go wt. the ITK.They often say that these knives do not need to be sharpened,thats ^%#$ in a production kitchen eventually you will have to tune up the edge.

I thought the AEB-L from Mark was not scalloped but pointy toothed.

The Tojiro I have is great. I'd probably want this over a pointy toothed bread knife for delicate things. Pointy toothed would definitely be a bit less likely to slide on those super thick crusts, though.

Yep, the artifex definitely looks pointy.

I use the ITK myself, I really like it and found it inexpensive when I purchased it. I have an older serrated sandwich knife for crustier stuff.

I prefer single sided 'scalloped' bread knives (see Gude). They are easy to sharpen and cut the best in my experience.

yeah i saw that a little bit ago. now just wait until my pay check decides to direct deposit itself

Back