Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japan's New Iron Chef heart throb Chairman

For those who don't watch much TV (which is obviously not me). Iron Chef (the dubbed Japanese version) showed up in the states in about 2001 or 2002, just after it quit in Japan. It was a huge hit and a large reason the Food Network exploded in the early Y2K. Once it was cancelled on FN, a second channel was started by the same company called Cooking Channel, which begain running the original Iron Chef as "Iron Chef Japan." It continues to air even today, as is quite popular. It's one of the programs I really enjoy, and only football or a few other food shows trump it in my list of favorites.

There was an American version on regular TV that failed (Iron Chef USA) and rightly so (terrible setup), but then Food Network rebooted it with Alton Brown (of Good Eats fame) as the host, calling it Iron Chef America (ICA). It, too, has been a huge hit, initially with Bobby Flay, Mario Batali, Masaharu Morimoto and eventually Cat Cora as the iron chefs. Wolfgang Puck was in the pilot episode but withdrew from any further taping, being replaced by Chef Cora.

ICA spawned another show called "The Next Iron Chef" in order to ensure there is a continuing flow of new talent into the stadium, and has included as winners Marc Forgione, Jose Garces, Michael Symon and most recently Geoffrey Zakarian. The newest season of TNIC, labeled "Redemption," included the fan favorites from previous seasons who lost, in a second attempt to make it through, including Nate Appleman, Elizabeth Falkner, Amanda Freitag, Eric Greenspan, Alex Guarnaschelli, Tim Love, Jehangir Mehta, Spike Mendelsohn, and Marcel Vigneron, most of which are already Food Network stars or have appears on Bravo's Top Chef series. (I'm assuming you guys know who some of these chefs are from being in the industry. I only know because they've been on TV).

ICA is one of Food Network's highest rated shows and will likely be continued for many more seasons, and is likely one of the impetusses for the Iron Chef Japan to be rebooted as well. I will likely DVR the new ICJ so watch when my time allows, as I do with all my favorite food shows.
    BBQ Heretic

Love the hats!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I woke up early to catch the live airing, but fell asleep again a few minutes before it started. Where did you find the download?

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    I woke up early to catch the live airing, but fell asleep again a few minutes before it started. Where did you find the download?
    link
    http://ironcheffans.info/wordpress/

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    I hate dubs, i hope they never show up. Subtitles would be ok though, those could be soon if some things work out like I hope, I will report back if I can get that to happen.
    I hate dubbed movies and TV shows...EXCEPT for Iron Chef Original. The dubbed iron chef is amazing!

Ionchef Thailand is on YouTube if you want to have a nosey..
    http://www.youtube.com/user/IronChefThailand