Media Japan's New Iron Chef heart throb Chairman

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
iron-chef-chairmen-3.jpg

I remember being 8 years old watching Iron Chef with my mom, fascinated by the show but thinking the chairman was the creepiest man on earth. After 13 years of the famous TV show being on hiatus, they decided to reboot the show on October 26th. Unfortunately, the original chairman Mr. Kaga will not be returning. In his place, one of Japan's heart throb actors will be taking his place.

"The show's basic structure won't change from the structure that made the first series a hit.

Because the original host's image is so strong, Tamaki wondered if he could be silly enough, Sanspo reports. He said he does want to succeed Kaga, however.

Online in Japan, the attitude towards this assembled cast seems mixed, with some calling this group "questionable". Many are saying that Tamaki is simply too young and too handsome for the chairman gig. What's more, he doesn't seem to be much of a gourmet food lover! Kaga was such a larger than life, over the top figure that he could really sell the show—and biting bell peppers. He's like an anime character brought to life.

The decision to go with Tamaki could change Iron Chef, as he seems to be your typical handsome Japanese dude without unique features per se that makes him stand out.

Then again, Tamaki could pull it off and make the new Iron Chef as popular as the old. It won't be until October 26, when the show debuts in Japan, that we find out. Stay tuned."
http://kotaku.com/5951721/first-look-at-the-new-iron-chef-host-does-this-man-love-bell-peppers

But you see... The last time I saw this man, he was a deer in a Japanese tv show...

tumblr_m5ox8zedKR1roz8f3.jpg
959.jpg
vlcsnap-88342.png

I apparently will never be able to see an Iron Chef Chairman like a normal human being.

Does anyone plan to watch?

Hehe... has it really been in hiatus for 13 years? I remember watching it when I was in Japan so I must have been seeing the final years then. Actually, I didn't know it hasn't been on since.

The new guy is supposed to be 'handsome' - really? Is that common consensus or simply hearsay? Looks pretty normal. ... Anyway, of course Kaga was the best. He was just over-the-top ridiculous, almost like he wasn't at all interested in a cooking show and so sought to make an impression despite it all.

Apparently there's been a US version since then, and I say 'apparently' because I've never seen it. Heck, there've probably been versions in other countries as well. Any good? At least I'd understand the language better, although the original Japanese version was still entertaining enough if you can't understand what was said.

In the states there was a dubbed version, and still the best one. I don't mind the American one, I just have got tired of some of the grand standing of the chef and nothing about the food they are making. Lol the worse one was hosted by William Shatner before the one on food network started.

Hehe... has it really been in hiatus for 13 years? I remember watching it when I was in Japan so I must have been seeing the final years then. Actually, I didn't know it hasn't been on since.

The new guy is supposed to be 'handsome' - really? Is that common consensus or simply hearsay? Looks pretty normal. ... Anyway, of course Kaga was the best. He was just over-the-top ridiculous, almost like he wasn't at all interested in a cooking show and so sought to make an impression despite it all.

Apparently there's been a US version since then, and I say 'apparently' because I've never seen it. Heck, there've probably been versions in other countries as well. Any good? At least I'd understand the language better, although the original Japanese version was still entertaining enough if you can't understand what was said.

Him being attractive is simply hearsay. All I see is deer-man. LOL I've actually never watched the US versions either, but I hear theres a Thai Iron Chef. I wondered if Iron Chef showed in other countries, so I decided to research...

I can't find other countries that air it... but! I DID find out that the Chairman, Takeshi Kaga, was really an actor whose credits include a voice on the Japanese version of Pokemon. LOL

I love watching the Japanese iron chef. i collect the episodes actually.

But i don't think they can make it as good as the old one.

American and uk iron chef sucked ...

Who are the new iron chefs? Will Masamoto return as iron chef Japan?

If I can find a way to watch this, I will. Tamaki will have to play a new, different character, Kaga was too ridiculous and over the top to be replicated.

holy hog balls... this is the best thing to happen to tv since... IRON CHEF!

Old Japanese episodes are still aired here in OZ . I'm usually pretty impressed with what they can accomplish in the 1 hour.
The original iron chef Japanese Roksaburo Michiba is simply awesome to watch!

くそ!

I'm working 8:00-9:00PM on Fridays.

Might be time to get a recorder of some kind, but maybe not. There's nothing else on TV I actually want to watch, save the odd 'Made in Japan' when someone I know is on.

I don't think that's good enough to buy something to record TV with though. Hopefully it'll tank by just enough they'll change the time slot.

Stu.

I love watching the Japanese iron chef. i collect the episodes actually.

But i don't think they can make it as good as the old one.

American and uk iron chef sucked ...

Yea, I don't think they can make it as good as the old ones either. Looking at the cast, I'm very skeptical. :[

What kind of chefs do they have lined up as the Iron Chefs this time around?

くそ!

I'm working 8:00-9:00PM on Fridays.

Might be time to get a recorder of some kind, but maybe not. There's nothing else on TV I actually want to watch, save the odd 'Made in Japan' when someone I know is on.

I don't think that's good enough to buy something to record TV with though. Hopefully it'll tank by just enough they'll change the time slot.

Stu.

Hulu or streaming! :)

Hulu or streaming! :)

Bad, bad, BAD idea.

I just checked that out, and there's Kamen Rider, Ultraman and similar on there. The kids have just worked out how to make the mouse work on the computer, so I just know the sly little monsters will work out how to stream that stuff in on a constant loop.

Could get very expensive...

Probably about as much as a recorder of some kind...

This just isn't going to be easy, is it?

Of course, finding the time to actually watch something might prove to be equally troublesome...

Stu.

How long did it take for the original IC programs to appear here in the states after they were made?
I'm wondering what the prospects are for dubbed versions to show up on this side of the world......given the popularity of the genre.

How long did it take for the original IC programs to appear here in the states after they were made?
I'm wondering what the prospects are for dubbed versions to show up on this side of the world......given the popularity of the genre.

I hate dubs, i hope they never show up. Subtitles would be ok though, those could be soon if some things work out like I hope, I will report back if I can get that to happen.

Since I don't actually watch tv, more like listen. I don't mind dubbed. But if I want to watch a original subbed movie (lets say original Girl With a Dragon Tattoo series) I really don't have time to sit and read. I didn't mind the voice actors they had for the first one, they pretty much went with what was going on with the people, and not much with the lips being off.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing all the past I.C. Japan chefs on again.

So, I just downloaded (no Japanese channel for me. boo) the two hour special of Iron Chef. It was very dramatic as usual. It's not subbed yet, but the subs should be out soon. Has anyone had a chance to see it? It was really cool, because the old iron chefs were on it too. :)

main.jpg

Please excuse the tiny picture.

For those who don't watch much TV (which is obviously not me). Iron Chef (the dubbed Japanese version) showed up in the states in about 2001 or 2002, just after it quit in Japan. It was a huge hit and a large reason the Food Network exploded in the early Y2K. Once it was cancelled on FN, a second channel was started by the same company called Cooking Channel, which begain running the original Iron Chef as "Iron Chef Japan." It continues to air even today, as is quite popular. It's one of the programs I really enjoy, and only football or a few other food shows trump it in my list of favorites.

There was an American version on regular TV that failed (Iron Chef USA) and rightly so (terrible setup), but then Food Network rebooted it with Alton Brown (of Good Eats fame) as the host, calling it Iron Chef America (ICA). It, too, has been a huge hit, initially with Bobby Flay, Mario Batali, Masaharu Morimoto and eventually Cat Cora as the iron chefs. Wolfgang Puck was in the pilot episode but withdrew from any further taping, being replaced by Chef Cora.

ICA spawned another show called "The Next Iron Chef" in order to ensure there is a continuing flow of new talent into the stadium, and has included as winners Marc Forgione, Jose Garces, Michael Symon and most recently Geoffrey Zakarian. The newest season of TNIC, labeled "Redemption," included the fan favorites from previous seasons who lost, in a second attempt to make it through, including Nate Appleman, Elizabeth Falkner, Amanda Freitag, Eric Greenspan, Alex Guarnaschelli, Tim Love, Jehangir Mehta, Spike Mendelsohn, and Marcel Vigneron, most of which are already Food Network stars or have appears on Bravo's Top Chef series. (I'm assuming you guys know who some of these chefs are from being in the industry. I only know because they've been on TV).

ICA is one of Food Network's highest rated shows and will likely be continued for many more seasons, and is likely one of the impetusses for the Iron Chef Japan to be rebooted as well. I will likely DVR the new ICJ so watch when my time allows, as I do with all my favorite food shows.

I woke up early to catch the live airing, but fell asleep again a few minutes before it started. Where did you find the download?

I hate dubs, i hope they never show up. Subtitles would be ok though, those could be soon if some things work out like I hope, I will report back if I can get that to happen.
I hate dubbed movies and TV shows...EXCEPT for Iron Chef Original. The dubbed iron chef is amazing!

Back