White #2 tip repair

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmadams13

Banned
Reaction score
Broke the tip on my Tojiro white #2 guyto this evening. It's only like 1-1 1/2 mm, but still... Any advice on fixing, or even better, any videos on the process. I'm pretty confident on the stones, just never did any tip repair/ re-profiling. I'm a visual learner, but any directions, steps to take, things to avoid, advice of any kind is greatly appreciated. There comes a time when we all must take on this task, and as this is a practice knife of sorts to me, the time is now, lol.

Thanks in advance ~joe

The most important advice is to work (and take material) from the spine, not the cutting edge.

Grind the spine to bring it down to the edge to form a new tip rather than grinding the edge to meet the spine. Blend the spine back toward the handle to maintain the profile, unless you want to make a santoku out of your gyuto. You may want to thin the tip area to match the original distal taper. Round the spine, or at least break the edge where you ground it.

Use a diamond plate if you have one, or the side of a coarse stone if you don't. 220 wet/dry on glass or tile is also useful.

Rick

Grind the spine to bring it down to the edge to form a new tip rather than grinding the edge to meet the spine. Blend the spine back toward the handle to maintain the profile, unless you want to make a santoku out of your gyuto. You may want to thin the tip area to match the original distal taper. Round the spine, or at least break the edge where you ground it.

Use a diamond plate if you have one, or the side of a coarse stone if you don't. 220 wet/dry on glass or tile is also useful.

Rick

That was very informative Rick, thank you.

I fixed a tip yesterday by dragging the knife down a sidewalk, then reprofiled on a cinder block with brick slurry. That was an old Wusthoff in need of heavy work though.

Yes, very informative Rick, thanks very much. Especially the tip on 220 on glass. I'll have a go at it. Again, thanks a bunch. I'll take before and after pics, and as soon as I find a image hosting app that gives me the HTML code, I'll post here.

Worked great on 220 taped to a tile. Not bad I must say for my first time. I'll post pics as soon as I find a image hosting iPhone app that gives me the HTML code needed so I can use the pics from my phone. Thanks for the help guys

Here are the pics

Before with sharpie marking where I want to reprofile:
8vMeC.jpg

And after:
gX8CJ.jpg

My bad for a first time. What do you guys think?

Depending on your preference for tip shape, I'd grind that curve back up the spine a bit more and make the transition smoother and less of drop off towards the tip.

Good for you for taking a shot at it. That's the only way we all learn.

I was thinking that too, but ran out of time and have to go to work, and I need this for shift. I'll work on it a bit more. But all in all I'm happy with my first attempt

Also depends if it's kuro-uchi too. I fixed a broken tip on one buy grinding up then reshaping it on stones. It also had a chip a half inch back from the tip on the cutting edge. That knife looks like it never happened now.

Back