Quantcast
Oyster Knife
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oyster Knife

Oyster Knife

Looking to get a new oyster knife, anyone used those Japanese style ones, for example from Korin or JKI.

It will be used fairly heavily. Anyone sharpen their knife?

I use the masamoto Oyster knife with the round tip not the pointed one. It works really well. I'm no master shucker or anything but I do like it quite a bit.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I use the masamoto Oyster knife with the round tip not the pointed one. It works really well. I'm no master shucker or anything but I do like it quite a bit.
    Is your technique any different from using a standard dexter-russel type shucker? Also do you use the masamoto because you find it works better/same as the standard type of knife, or does it work not as well but you just like it?

I could see myself buying something like that and not liking it as much as a standard knife, but using it anyways because I like it, and I want to avoid that.

That sounded confusing...makes sense?

I have a Rösle oyster knife that I like. Very pointed and maybe too sharp. I slipped once and put a gash in my left thumb that's took 5 stitches. My wife insists I wear a glove on my left hand now. :o

-AJ

I have a masamoto that is way to wide for some small oysters from some of the nice points, but is fine for big malpeques. My favourite is a red handled victorinox boston styled one, I like it the most by far.

I shucked for about a year at a busy seafood spot here in Maine(which frankly have some of the best oysters in the world, sorry southies... I do like a nice Kumamoto tho...). If you know what you're doing, you can use a flathead screwdriver, but I prefer the 'western' style spear tip. Tried the French 'spade' shape. And IMO the suck! And the Japanese style ones scare the crap out of me. I've shucked literally- thousands of oysters. The western style is the safest, and IMO the best. A chain mail glove is a good investment for sure, but proper placement of a dish towel(wrapped around the entire oyster, with your non dominant hand cradling), and a tender probing technique, will yield great dividends. But literally- you can use anything that will fit into the hinge, as long as you control the amount of force you apply. I've used butter knives, screwdrivers, pocketknives, spoons...

Btw- it's very difficult to cut the lower tendon cleanly with the French style, without mangling said oyster. Japanese style look as though they might be a little more effective, but based on how many sushi restaurants I've frequented where they don't perform this procedure... Not to say that all sushi joints use J-style oyster knives...

I shuck somewhere around 300-800 oysters a night here in Chicago, and my go to is a 4" Dexter Russel Boston Style. I also use a "gulf style" from R Murphy another great knife. And I have to agree with Brainsausage, I too am a fan of Maine oysters, Pemaquid and Wiley Points are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by dubie View Post
    I shuck somewhere around 300-800 oysters a night here in Chicago, and my go to is a 4" Dexter Russel Boston Style. I also use a "gulf style" from R Murphy another great knife. And I have to agree with Brainsausage, I too am a fan of Maine oysters, Pemaquid and Wiley Points are amazing.
    I will fight over how tasty those damn pemaquids are! Possibly one of my top ten food items.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Tried the French 'spade' shape. And IMO the suck!
    Like this?

Or is this the good shape?

+ Reply to Thread