Quantcast
Hot dog in a bun weld construction technique

Thread: Hot dog in a bun weld construction technique

Hot dog in a bun weld construction technique

I have been studying the construction techniques of Japanese bladesmiths, I call this stile of a soft steel jacket over a hard steel core "hot dog in a bun" because that's what the preform billet looks like . This method is common in Norway and Scandinavia also for pukko knives, however I was told by a smith from Norway they use angle iron for the jacket in modern times lol. I tried it for the first time yesterday, and succeeded so, since "this thread is useless without pictures" I thought I'd do one better and make a video. Thought you guys over here in the custom knives section might be interested to see it too.

I managed to capture everything but forging the blade out before the memory ran out, but the major parts are in there, I hope it's clear but if anyone has any questions feel free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwRsT0PWBZU

and here's the knife I ended up with, I forged it by hand a bit after the video, then cleaned it up on the grinder.

Thank you Pig, for turning vegetables into bacon, you are magic

nice work sam
    a tip tho handle drop is not athe greatest thinkng in the kitchen (and i know you cn jsut heat and beat that the right way)

Yeh butch this one's not destined for the kitchen but the technique sure is. Going to try some deba this way.
    Thank you Pig, for turning vegetables into bacon, you are magic