What to do about this, or what are my options...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmadams13

Banned
Reaction score
Was a sad morning in the Adams household. After returning from fishing with a basket full of nice size perch, I dropped my MAC superior deba while breaking down the fish. I picked it off the tile floor, wiped it off and started cutting again, when I noticed some movement in the handle. Upon inspection I noticed a crack in the tang at the first rivet. I love this blade, and use I at home a ton (I'm an avid fisherman) and would to salvage if possible.

I was thinking a WA style handle and some STRONG epoxy after grinding down what little bit of a tang is left to fit. Ideas? Or am I SOL

Thanks ~joe

u9VsR.jpg

From the MAC website:

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE REPLACEMENT OPTION:

We understand that accidents happen and have developed the following alternate option to help our loyal customers. If you accidentally break one of our products and know that the damage was not caused by a defect (i.e. you accidentally dropped your knife or tried to use the knife to cut through something too hard) we have created this replacement option for you.

You may opt to purchase a replacement product at 70% off of the suggested retail price (plus a shipping charge) without returning the product to us. This offer is only for knives that are damaged beyond repair. If we deem your knife repairable, we cannot offer this option to you and will ask that you return the knife to us for repair (Click here to see information about Repair/Sharpening Services). In order to purchase a replacement at this price we will need you to use our online Warranty Form. Here is what you will need: 1.) A digital camera and the ability to use your computer to upload a photo to our online Warranty Form. 2.) A valid email address for us to contact you. 3.) A Visa, Mastercard, or Discover card to submit your payment to us by phone.

First, take a digital photo of the damaged knife with a ruler or measuring tape along the length of the item (so that we can verify which model it is; see sample photo below). If necessary, you may take a second photo showing the damage. Second, use our online Warranty Form to email us your contact information and the photo(s) of the damaged item. One of our representatives will review the photos and process your claim within 10 business days. You will receive an email once the claim has been approved with instructions to call us to submit your payment information by phone and to finalize your order.

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/frequently-asked-questions/warranty.html

You can also get it welded back together.

That is, and I will look into it. I wonder if it matters if your not the original owner, as this was a yard sale find (really!!!)

Funny thing is, I still used it to finish the fish. It was a little weird and awkward to hold, but worked, lol.

Wow! That's the second Mac I've heard of that happening to this week! Very strange.

Regardless, their warranty is incredible, and I'd look at that option, for sure! I like Macs....

I would file the warranty claim and then if you are that in love with the blade itself - have it welded and put a new handle on it.

With customer support like that, is there a reason that Mac knives are not talked about more here on the forum? New to the forum, and a self proclaimed newb, I don't think I have read a thread talking about them or as a recommended knife

You know what? That's a good question. They aren't viewed in the same vein as Globals or Shuns, even though they're widely available and sort of expensive. I think it's partly that the steel is average and pretty soft, the price is pretty high and they are kind of quirky knives, with interesting shapes and handles. However, if a guy showed up with a Shun and another guy showed up with a Mac, to a new kitchen, the guy with the Mac would likely be viewed more as a working chef and the guy with the Shun might be seen as flashy.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that there are better knives for the price, but a Mac is nothing to snicker about, either. At least, that's my opinion.

I love my Macs. Still use my original kit in the home. Never had a problem. Seems prices have jumped considerably, but there are still good deals out there....

Back