Vintage ID help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmadams13

Banned
Reaction score
Need a little help with this guy. I have done a lot of work to it, like work on the bolister and polishing, but this is how I found it. I will post restoration pics later. Yard sale find for $5. also came with a huge Foster Bros steel.

Spine at handle is HUGE, but tapers nicely. Blade has been destroyed with scratches so all marking is gone, but this blade has been used a ton, you can tell. Very little pitting after cleanup, and handle is still solid and secure. Enjoy

B7bjF.jpg

MZlOQ.jpg

CQOGI.jpg

hIf8p.jpg

Here is my work so far. Turning into a nice little slicer

EPBJd.jpg

CWW1E.jpg

The work on the bolister was not done by me, but a blacksmith buddy. Blade needs some more work to get th scratches out, but she sure does take a nice edge

Also have sanded and oiled the handle a little. Again, not done that either

Nice, it looks like your friend did a good job getting rid of that bolster/finger guard thing. Once you sand out the scratches, you will have a fine looking blade.
Cheers

Great job and nice pix. Your friend has made a nice transition from the finger guard,
When cleaning up the blade, use sandpaper in the P220-700 range. Take care to stay away from the edge and cause an overgrind. Use a marker to verify. I would work horizontally only. No need for a high polish: it will soon get a new patina.
High polish will show remaining deep scratches and other grinding irregularities. And above all, food will stick on it.
Could you show pix of the backside, especially of the finger guard?

I use a piece of rubber that I got from McMaster-Carr, it's about 1/8 inch thick and a foot square, and lay a sheet of wet or dry sandpaper on it, then work the side of the blade on that. It has enough give to follow the curve of the blade but is firm enough to stay off of the edge. I use this to finish the sides of blades that are heat treated to the lower sixties, so something like what you are working on would work quite nicely, I would think!

Nice find and good job on bringing it back to life .

Here is the handle and the back of the reworked finger guard

CogKD.jpg

Wh2Ym.jpg

JJbX5.jpg

Anyone have an idea the maker or era? You can see some of the pitting at the heal. This an a little at the tip on the same side of the blade are all there is

1950's or 60's American made
could be foster brothers or any number of companies. usually foster bros or dexter stamped the handle. I'll look into it. it also has that k sabatier Canadian look.

I was gonna say K sab too. The bolster looks right and the steel tapering in the tang sabdar. Nice work so far with the refinishing :thumbsup:

Back