New Work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
While at the Beer, Bourbon & BBQ event in Cary, NC earlier this year, I had a large round cherry board out front on a table and ladies kept trying to spin it asking if it would spin. I guessed they were asking for a lazy susan. As I was preparing for the Metro Cooking and Entertaining show in Nov I thought of those questions and decided to make some lazy susans to take to DC. Below is one of the first.

DSC_0203.jpg

This one is 20" in diameter, on a special low profile bearing and made from curly quartersawn white oak with a satin lacquer finish. I have 14 more in oak, cherry,walnut and maple. If they sell well I will add them to my product mix.

I'll bet that spinning that will set off a seizer of some sort! Very cool!

Very nice, honestly I can understand their confusion as round cutting boards just don't seem very practical to me. The edge of my table is square I want a board that can get as close to it as possible.

Good thinking David, way to listen to your customers!
I bet they sell like hot cakes.

Great idea! A few times at chinese restaurants where they have large lazy susans on the tables for family style eating I had wondered how they would look in koa ;) Bit then we would be talking 40"+ ;)

Stefan

I have seen lazy susans with a series of 4 wheels under them which made for a more stable platform. I would buy one, hate the plastic ones. But have always wanted one in wood would be worth it.

'Nother one. Curly hard maple, 18".

DSC_0204.jpg

The photo doesn't do complete justice to the depth of the curls.

Very cool. Being from a large asian family, lazy susans are almost a necessity for get togethers heh

I hear it's a very short step from lazy susans back to custom knife blocks. Just sayin'...

;)

This is exactly the kind of thing the Metro C&E show is about. These will sell.

^^ shoot him an email, or better yet call him tomorrow. I think he has a pretty good inventory right now, but he is getting ready to do another show.

Just got my new lazy susan in cherry and end grain mae block today. Both beautifully finished and delivered as scheduled. Used them both already . The lazy susan is now the permanent fixture on the kitchen table. Great work Dave, thank you .

Back