Quantcast
Florida Avocados - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Avocados

Nice share Mr. Drinky!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Anything but Haas suck IMHO. 86 the one you have left over and start over.

-AJ

I find Florida avocados watery and tasteless; I wouldn't give you a nickle for every one in existence. In fact, when I am elected to public office, I intend to introduce legislation making it illegal to refer to them as avocados. They sully the good name of the noble alligator pear.

I chop up Hass avocados and include them in salads all the time, and love fresh guacamole.

Never had an avocado from Florida, and after reading this, I'll do my best to avoid them!

Do you have a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Maybe others have seen Florida avocados before, but I haven't up north. Anyhow, I bought this Franken variety the other day and -- IMO -- they more or less taste like crap. Here is a picture of a regular avocado, a Florida avocado (on scale), and for comparison a giant mango. As you can see, the Florida avocado is quite large at roughly 1.5 lbs. Though the fruitiness somehow comes out in these avocados (versus sweet fattiness), the texture and watery taste is not that appealing.

They were two for $4, so I have one left. What do I do with it?

k.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I do have a dog, good idea. Now if the dog rejects it, then that is another vote against Florida avocados.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

from what I've heard' avos are not good for dogs. I love 'em, and cilantro too. I'll stay away from the FL variety having read your opinion though.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    I find Florida avocados watery and tasteless; I wouldn't give you a nickle for every one in existence. In fact, when I am elected to public office, I intend to introduce legislation making it illegal to refer to them as avocados. They sully the good name of the noble alligator pear.
    That was very electoral...well-played.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

There are disputes re:avocados and dogs. Some dogs eat lots of them with no problems, and some dog foods contain it. There is evidently a chemical called persin that can be problematical, and is highly concentrated in argentine avos, so it may be what makes them taste good! The Florida versions probably don't have much, which would be why they are such crap.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I grew up in Florida HATING avocados. Didn't develop a taste for them until moving out of state and falling in love with guacamole. Rich little Haas avocados are wonderful. A few years back I had a Florida avocado again. Nasty, mushy, watery thing. They are HUGE tho. That 1 1/2 pounder is just a baby. We also had mango trees as well as avocadoes when I was a kid and I despised those, too. Wonder if the ones from outside of Florida taste better? I haven't had one of those since I left--hubby described them perfectly--"They taste like bus exhaust smells."
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller