Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Knife Types in Works

New Knife Types in Works

Going to do a run of prototypes for a yanagi, garasuki, honesuki and miroshi deba in 52100
    Yanagi - 270mm
    Miroshi - 240mm
    Garasuki - 180mm
    Honesuki - ??
    Honesuki/petty hybrid - 135-150mm

Need advice on honesuki length and whether to make it with a hollow ground back. What do you guys say? 135mm or 150mm? Single or double-beveled?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Excited re: the petty hybrid! My yo-honesuki is my favourite knife profile ever. And a well ground double bevel would be awesome for petty use.

For buthery, I use my honesuki *alot* and i think that a concave back would serve very little purpose. Flat-back 99-1 edge is ideal for me. 150mm gives it enough versatility to do some bigger butchery as well as just birds in my experience.

I'd love to see your take on a miroshi deba!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I made a 135mm petty/honesuki hybrid a long time ago. I shelved the project for a while, but now decided to revisit it, as my interest in single beveled knives has grown. The one I made was single-beveled and a hollow back.

The profile and geometry for traditional single-beveled knives like deba, garasuki, yanagi I will copy from my favorite makers. Basically, they should be very similar to Japanese-made, but in 52100 steel. I will harden them to 63-63.5RC.

@Dusty - flat back on honesuki sounds interesting. I think Shigefusa poultry knife is flat rather than hollow on the back.

M

I've never used a hollow back honesuki, what are the advantages of a hollow back? I understand with a yanagiba and deba when a large part of the blade is in contact during a slicing motion, but isn't the main action of a honesuki using the tip to separate through the joints? I don't see where there would be a problem with stiction. I may have missed the point though
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I am not entirely sure, as I haven't really started tackling problems associated with single beveled knives, but my guess is the hollow grind on the back partially offsets the stress in steel that is created by grinding a bevel on one side only. This is just a guess, and I need to test it, but I do know for fact, when steel is removed asymmetrically, internal stresses can make steel bend or warp.

In case of my knives this will be critical, as monosteel (basically oil quenched honyaki) cannot be straightened by hand after hardening same way as kasumi.

M

Nice Marko, would you also be considering a smaller (180-210) miroshi deba?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Yes, but I probably would not go below 210mm.

M

150 for sure on honesuki. Not sure about the hollow, though.

Must be true single bevel. I would rather sharpen a single bevel and I prefer them in use.