Quantcast
New Knife Types in Works - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Knife Types in Works

I like this neck knife blade profile, but would do handle and would grind it differently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3260.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	15058

How much distal taper is there on a neck knife?

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

It is awesome that another great maker will be doing a neck knife, I am awaiting my first neck knife but already looking for the next. I am interested in seeing what you come up with.

I don't carry a necker, but this one might be on my radar. I'd personally, go with "number one", but add a little bit more of a notch at the choil. They will be great, no doubt.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I spoke to Hoss the Boss this morning, and he gave me some very good advice. I will use it in conjunction with other advice in this thread to make a prototype. It will without a bolster at first - I want to familiarize myself with the grind before I consider using premium materials (mokume, damascus, ironwood). It will probably be in AEB-L heat treated to 62-63RC and for most wear resistance. I also need to get materials and tools for making kydex sheath. So this is going to be a a long

Thanks to all who chimed in.

M

IMO, that forward finger choil is a must-have for safety, functionality and comfort on a small knife that may be used hard in an emergency.
    After owning a bob lum designed caly 3 and then my carter necker, I will never own an edc without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    The choil in these neck knives by Murray Carter and Rick Lowe serve that purpose, AFAIK.

Rick
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    IMO, that forward finger choil is a must-have for safety, functionality and comfort on a small knife that may be used hard in an emergency.
    After owning a bob lum designed caly 3 and then my carter necker, I will never own an edc without one.
    A few questions to folks who own Carter neck knives.

Is the diameter of the forward finger choil about the same as your index finger? Would it be better if the area was notched for a bitter friction, like you see sometimes spine on straight rasors?

Also, how do yo like the Carter in terms of design, ergonomics, etc? Would it be better if the scales on the handle on the Carter extended further forward, almost to the plunge line? What is the thickness of the handle (with scales)?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    A few questions to folks who own Carter neck knives.

Is the diameter of the forward finger choil about the same as your index finger?
    Slightly larger, but I have small fingers.

Would it be better if the area was notched for a bitter friction, like you see sometimes spine on straight rasors?
    Not in the choil area, but jimps on the spine where the thumb could get purchase would be welcome.

Also, how do yo like the Carter in terms of design, ergonomics, etc?
    For a small knife, it is very comfortable in the hand. I think part of this is the handle shape, which narrows at the end and fins into my palm.

Would it be better if the scales on the handle on the Carter extended further forward, almost to the plunge line?
    I think it would interfere with pinching the blade for fine work.

What is the thickness of the handle (with scales)?
    Mine measures 11.65 mm at the thickest point.

Rick

Rick what's the thickness on that blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Rick what's the thickness on that blade?
    The spine measures 2.8 mm at the choil area, Don.

Thanks, Rick -