My polished Sakai Yusuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglerock

Reaction score
My Sakai Yusuke had very deep patina and it started to get very sticky with food so i decided to clean it up and take some pictures.

I'll slowly add more pictures of my other knives :)

I used 120, 320, 600, 1000 and 1200 sand paper. not very polished but good enough.

_MG_0881.jpg

_MG_0873.jpg

What do you guys think?

Looks good to me--fairly even haze and consistent scratch pattern that should hold up well and conceal the odd scratch from stones or food.

alot scrathes, to remove just patina i would start at much higher grit then 120.

If patina is getting rough, you may polish it somewhat with cork and stone mud (J2000 or higher) without abrading it completely as you did. Force a new patina and you will be fine.

Looks like decent work to me...better than the work I did recently. :)

The result is not bad at all, I agree. Would you want a more polished result the grids should be much closer, especially in the coarse range.

Looks good, but make sure you're hitting the tip, and following the angle/curve when sharpening. I looks a bit untouched. But, nice!

Thank you for the advice every one.

I was trying to remove some old deeper scratches while getting rid of the patina.

Next time ill try to use closer grid numbers to get more better end results.

Lefty i think i went a little higher with the angle on the tip, i have to be careful.

Hey, I like the finish. In my mind, satin is where it's at! Nice work on it. I was just afraid I saw some birdbeaking rearing its ugly head. Just wanted to make sure you were watching out for it :)

I agree with Lucretia! :) Is the board Tamarrack?

Here is another view of the tip, do you think i have the birds beak problem ?

_MG_0874.jpg

Yup, but an easy fix and a great lesson learned :)

Yup, but an easy fix and a great lesson learned :)

definitely. i had tips just like that for quite a while on all my knives, when i was starting out. just part of the process. i had underground heels for a long time, too. the two extremes of the knife are easiest to undergrind.

Very true! I actually fight overgrinding my heels, at times, even still. If you don't pay attention for even a second, it can happen.

You should see the job eaglerock has done, already, to fix the bird beak. It looks waaaay better.

Here is a picture of the tip after a fast fix

_MG_0920.jpg

Glad you guys pointed this out. i have to get better with sharpening :)

but now you got me scared about the heel part :O

Very close...nah, don't worry, just watch what you're doing :)

being cognizant of the potential problem is all you need. just check to make sure that holes aren't opening up, and if they, correct them. the tip is definitely looking a lot better!

this opened my eyes for those small mistakes i leave when sharpening, i had some undergrind with the heel too but it was very easy to fix.

one problem i keep getting when sharpening is how i measure my angle.

this opened my eyes for those small mistakes i leave when sharpening, i had some undergrind with the heel too but it was very easy to fix.

one problem i keep getting when sharpening is how i measure my angle.

i don't measure my angles when i sharpen. results are what matter, not process.

I'm with Jacob on this. I just do it, making sure my mistakes aren't too bad :)

Eagle,

Are you planning on going any further than 1200 grit polish? Also did you get a before picture of the deep patina?

I can't find finer sand paper than 1200 in Finland. i forgot to take a picture of the knife before. but it was used in a pro kitchen for 2 years without any polishing so you can imagine :)

I can't find finer sand paper than 1200 in Finland. i forgot to take a picture of the knife before. but it was used in a pro kitchen for 2 years without any polishing so you can imagine :)

I wouldn't bother. It'll get scratched again anyways, right? And at some point you'll have to thin it, which'll scratch it to hell. If it was a knife with a shinogi line (a single bevel or something like a Heiji), then thinning would be much less messy, and I'd actually invest the time in keeping the knife nicely polished. Otherwise, not worth it to me.

Back