Quantcast
First Saya
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Saya

First Saya

Poplar wood, hand cut, sanded and fitted. Roughly based off of Eamon Burke's style (thanks for the model)

Nice! No pin?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Not yet

Nicely done.

I am thinking of trying this very soon so thanks for this. Did it take long? I think I'll try hollowing mine out though I have no idea how hard/easy it's gonna be

Nice! I just did the same for a Tojiro ITK bread knife. Will post pics soon. Edit: added pics

All I used was a saw, a Japanese saw rasp (Shinto brand), and sandpaper. The Shinto rasp is AMAZING for people without belt sanders. http://www.woodcraft.com/category/20...saw-rasps.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I am thinking of trying this very soon so thanks for this. Did it take long? I think I'll try hollowing mine out though I have no idea how hard/easy it's gonna be
    The hollow cavity method is much harder IMO unless you have some decent chisels. I hollowed out a cavity for a paring knife using a knife and it took way too long compared to the sandwich style.

This probably took me around an hour of labor not counting all the time that things had to sit, etc. Maybe a little more, but I'm not good at paying attention to time with these types of things.

Looks great, Mike! I recognize that little guy.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    The hollow cavity method is much harder IMO unless you have some decent chisels. I hollowed out a cavity for a paring knife using a knife and it took way too long compared to the sandwich style.

This probably took me around an hour of labor not counting all the time that things had to sit, etc. Maybe a little more, but I'm not good at paying attention to time with these types of things.
    Also helps to get good, soft wood for carving. I've had some bad luck with some soft woods with random doohickies that made carving very tough - the wood would want to crack and rip out instead of cleanly cutting.

Very nice!