First Saya

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketayl0r

Reaction score
Poplar wood, hand cut, sanded and fitted. Roughly based off of Eamon Burke's style (thanks for the model)
24136fn.jpg

9hp7xg.jpg

14ludd2.jpg

axbul2.jpg

I am thinking of trying this very soon so thanks for this. Did it take long? I think I'll try hollowing mine out though I have no idea how hard/easy it's gonna be

I am thinking of trying this very soon so thanks for this. Did it take long? I think I'll try hollowing mine out though I have no idea how hard/easy it's gonna be

The hollow cavity method is much harder IMO unless you have some decent chisels. I hollowed out a cavity for a paring knife using a knife and it took way too long compared to the sandwich style.

This probably took me around an hour of labor not counting all the time that things had to sit, etc. Maybe a little more, but I'm not good at paying attention to time with these types of things.

Looks great, Mike! I recognize that little guy. :)

The hollow cavity method is much harder IMO unless you have some decent chisels. I hollowed out a cavity for a paring knife using a knife and it took way too long compared to the sandwich style.

This probably took me around an hour of labor not counting all the time that things had to sit, etc. Maybe a little more, but I'm not good at paying attention to time with these types of things.

Also helps to get good, soft wood for carving. I've had some bad luck with some soft woods with random doohickies that made carving very tough - the wood would want to crack and rip out instead of cleanly cutting.

That's great to read! It is an awesome little knife!

If you guys need pins, look at Guitar Bridge Pins sets. I got 6 of the bridge pins, plus a huge End pin for like $6-$6.50, including Ebony with MOP inset and Rosewood with Abalone inset. The plain ones w/o insets are a little cheaper. Grizzly is where I got mine from and they even have a reamer to ream the holes so they fit the taper. I used a 3/16" drill to drill the hole for the pin, then reamed it.

looks good!!! great for a first try! I like the friction fit personally it saves me the hassle of trying to find a new pin after I lose the first one and the second one, and after probably choking on the third one (jk) hahaha but I cant imagine hollowing out one that seems really difficult!!

Latest posts

Back