Peeling Onions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitonboy

Reaction score
Here is the noob question of all time. Now that I can finely dice an onion in mere seconds, how do I peel the brown skin off quickly from a halved onion without having to take the outermost layer of good onion? Peeling sometimes takes longer that the chopping.

The outer most layer of onion is often not that good as it can still get pretty tough /papery near then ends. I typically cut the tip of the root and stem ends off, then cut the onion in half with the skin still on, then cut just though the skin and outer most later lengthwise (from root to stem). I use the tip or heel of the knife to "flip up" or start skin away from the onion along the line that I just cut. This way you are only trying to remove 1/4 of the skin at a time and it's easier for the skin to invert / turn inside- out come off in one piece when it's only in a 1/4 section vs a 1/2 sphere.

One other trick that I've seen is to not trim the stem-end off before halving the onion and to use the little "point" or tab of skin at the tip as a place to grab and start the peeling.

I've also heard that microwaving for a few seconds or placing the whole onions in a hot oven helps to separate the skin. I haven't tried that, but it only really seems like it would be a time savings if you where doing A LOT of onions all at once... and it would probably make the tear-gas more volatile.

peeling an onion takes seconds, once you have the feel for it. same with garlic and shallots. just keep working it, and you'll figure it out. that's way easier than anybody trying to explain it.

All onions are not created equal. In a 50lb bag, some will take much more time and effort than others. It's worth it for an onion(IMHO) .............the building block of all the world's best recipes.

In a busy restaurant where you have to be fast, you don't have a lot of time to mess with peeling onions. just take the top cover away :D

If you wanna spend some time on it, i use my paring knife to take the sticky skin away.

Back