Quantcast
Knife Library - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife Library

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I would like to take the Henckel around the block a couple times. I've got a 10" four star that used to be a "go to". Would like to put the two side by side for grins. Will pm address if necc.

Regards,
    Pretty sure I've got your addy Dave. I'll ship 'er out next week. I can't really compare the steel on this Henckel to anything I've seen before.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Got the Old File from Chris today. Nice blade, you did a great job on the restore. What did you do to the handle to clean it up and make it so damn nice. It feels like its brand new stabilized wood. Cuts great too, couldn't help grabbing a potato and onion to play around with
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    Got the Old File from Chris today. Nice blade, you did a great job on the restore. What did you do to the handle to clean it up and make it so damn nice. It feels like its brand new stabilized wood. Cuts great too, couldn't help grabbing a potato and onion to play around with
    I only sanded the handle a litttle, some 800, 1000, 2000 paper and some Renaissance Wax. I've got no clue what the wood is, but it is really interesting and feels great in-hand. It's reminiscent of an octagony-wa-ish style too. I'd love to know some history on the Old File company. Maybe I'll hit steeley up.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I've been looking for some history, but can't seem to fun any. The handle does feel great. Used it today for a crap ton of prep, and am very happy with it. It's a little reactive, but already getting a nice patina, so I'm sure it will calm down. Was the blade in that goo f condition when you got it?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

So... Been using the Old File for a little it now, and gotta say, I love it. The profile took a while getting use to, but it cuts like a dream, and takes a scary sharp edge. Doesn't keep it long, but long enough to get the job done. I'll be send this back next week sometime Chris, but I gotta say, it's going to be a hard one to let go, lol. I still love the handle, even though kinda clunky at first, it feels really good in the hand. She's been good to me, just don't wanna see her leave, lol

an entrepreneur in Havana, Illinois, in 1906 named his butcher knife firm the "Old File Cutlery Company;" this successful firm continued in business for six decades -- not once in all those years actually selling a knife made from a file. This is all I could ever find on the company.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Ok, I am starting this off from my earlier post about 'loaner knives.'

After some thought, I am going to loan out 5 knives to those who would like to try them. I'll attempt to offer knives that people might like to handle, and later on I will switch them up. Right now I am going to be comparing my Hiro, Martell, Mario, and TKC, so those are off limits, but I will offer up some of the others that will be getting less use.

So that is it. I am sure I have forgotten something, but for now I will see if anyone is interested.

karring
    If it's not too late to ask and you're still feeling generous, I'd love to check out the Devin. If it's currently on passaround, no problem. I'm in no big hurry.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Pretty sure I've got your addy Dave. I'll ship 'er out next week. I can't really compare the steel on this Henckel to anything I've seen before.
    I happen to come across some old Henckels adn also Wuesthofs.. The steel after sharpening feels one of a kind.. you know what I mean just that uber sharp. It must be a peculiar to that particular batch. Since they keep changing their steel recipe in search of an round steel and I have also come across some that is most chippy of which I suspect of larger than usual carbides. So can't generalise that all knives from a particular maker is great.. Sometimes you get lemons too..

Rgds
    d

I don't know if you are still doing this, but I would love to try out the Ealy gyuto at some point if possible. I am thinking about ordering one from him to replace the gyuto's that I had stolen (first step to replacing my knife kit). I would love to try one out before I order it though, to make sure I will like it. I love the design of the blades, I just never had a chance to handle one.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbrother View Post
    I don't know if you are still doing this, but I would love to try out the Ealy gyuto at some point if possible. I am thinking about ordering one from him to replace the gyuto's that I had stolen (first step to replacing my knife kit). I would love to try one out before I order it though, to make sure I will like it. I love the design of the blades, I just never had a chance to handle one.
    i still have his Ealy. i was planning on thinning the tip, but had gotten busy and never gotten around to it (been using it plenty, though, nice knife). i am finally less busy, now, and i need to give my Heijis for a spa day soon (one person wanted a tutorial on Heiji sharpening, but if there is other interest i can make a general post), so i'll do the Ealy at the same time. i've had this knife way too long, time for somebody else to enjoy it, once i give it the needed tweaks.