Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife as a gift?

Knife as a gift?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting my mate his first proper chef's knife and was wondering what I should be looking at.

I filled up the fields to the best of my ability. Hopefully it makes some sense!

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    Multi-purpose.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    As a gift.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- My friend likes things simple.
    Edge Quality/Retention-
    Ease of Use-
    Comfort-

What grip do you use?
    Pinch grip.

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    Push cut.

Where do you store them?
    In a drawer generally.

Have you ever oiled a handle?

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    Bamboo at the moment I think.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Have they ever been sharpened?

What is your budget?
    Approximately 200 - 300; and perhaps it may include a sharpening tool, might need advice on that too if possible!

What do you cook and how often?
    Almost everyday.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
    His preference is for a Japanese knife as far as I know.

Many thanks in advance!

Welcome Cravez! Sounds like you are a very generous friend, I am sure you will be pointed in the right direction. Might see what your friend knows about sharpening as it would be helpful to give proper advice. Also, it may be important as far as pricing to know if you are located in the states or elsewhere.

Good luck
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Welcome Cravez! Sounds like you are a very generous friend, I am sure you will be pointed in the right direction. Might see what your friend knows about sharpening as it would be helpful to give proper advice. Also, it may be important as far as pricing to know if you are located in the states or elsewhere.

Good luck
    Thanks chinacats!

I just realised my username was supposed to be listed as 'cravenz'! D'oh!

He's a good mate, so I thought why not. I've read a little about knives so thought I would need to spend a little more. I'd like to get him something that he can keep for a while, and also at the same time, give him a glimpse into what he's been wanting to look into. He loves cooking as well, so price/money isn't an issue. Though I don't have millions to throw around!

I'm not a hundred percent sure on what he knows about sharpening. I know he's used sharpening stones and that's about it unfortunately.

Pricing wise, I'm in Australia, which has pretty much the same value as the US dollar at the moment, which is great!

Edit: I forgot to add in the original post that my mate is left-handed as well! I can't seem to edit that into the first post, so this will have to do!

Thanks again for your input!

Did you see your friend using any carbon steel stuff yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Did you see your friend using any carbon steel stuff yet?
    Nope. It would be his first foray into the knife world. Any differences with them?

Quote Originally Posted by cravenz View Post

I just realised my username was supposed to be listed as 'cravenz'! D'oh!

Fixed!

Welcome to KKF

You need some discipline: wipe after each use, rince and DRY before storing. You get the sharpest, finest edge and very easy sharpening.
    Japanese knives are mostly made for right handers, even when advertised otherwise. You may see one with a neutral edge, but often the blade's geometry is still right biased.
    European knives tend to have a more neutral geometry and come in general with neutral edge.
    I would consider French or German carbons. A few names: Robert Herder, Solingen; K-Sabatier; Thiers-Issard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Fixed!

Welcome to KKF
    Thank you so very much! And thank you for the welcome as well. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    You need some discipline: wipe after each use, rince and DRY before storing. You get the sharpest, finest edge and very easy sharpening.
    Japanese knives are mostly made for right handers, even when advertised otherwise. You may see one with a neutral edge, but often the blade's geometry is still right biased.
    European knives tend to have a more neutral geometry and come in general with neutral edge.
    I would consider French or German carbons. A few names: Robert Herder, Solingen; K-Sabatier; Thiers-Issard.
    I'm pretty much set with looking for a Japanese blade for my friend. He's indicated that he is looking for one, and he also loves all thing Japanese. He studies it, and is also making a trip there himself next year or the year after! So I'm guessing I'll have to look for one with a neutral edge.

But you are right. He did mention that when he was working at Ippudo for a bit, they wouldn't let him do any prep work. He mentioned that it had something to do with them believing that lefties couldn't cut it properly, but it may have more to do with the blade?

Probably. For J-knives, check japanesechefsknife.com. They send from Japan, apply $7 handling costs for any destination. Mail the owner (Koki) to confirm about a knife's geometry, he will be glad to help you.

I'm going through this exercise myself. After consulting with knife guru Jon Broida I decided on the Suisin INOX western . You may want to run your thoughts past him.

-AJ