Quantcast
Any Canadians order from yoshihiro cutlery on ebay? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Canadians order from yoshihiro cutlery on ebay?

I'm in Canada, and I've bought a few things from Yoshihiro on eBay. I never incurred any duties or customs fees. Like others have said, get it shipped via USPS and you probably won't have to worry. Just make sure they understand you want USPS, not UPS. I've had sellers make that mistake before, and it can be an expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    I'm in Canada, and I've bought a few things from Yoshihiro on eBay. I never incurred any duties or customs fees. Like others have said, get it shipped via USPS and you probably won't have to worry. Just make sure they understand you want USPS, not UPS. I've had sellers make that mistake before, and it can be an expensive one.
    Thanks. Do you remember roughly how long orders took to receive them?

If you ask sellers to label the item as a gift that is under $20, you'll rarely get dinged w/ customs. If the package is lost however, there isn't much recourse for insurance purposes.

I bought my Yoshihiro via sjecicap on ebay, they're based in California. Took 3-4 weeks to arrive, I'm in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by aser View Post
    If you ask sellers to label the item as a gift that is under $20, you'll rarely get dinged w/ customs. If the package is lost however, there isn't much recourse for insurance purposes.

I bought my Yoshihiro via sjecicap on ebay, they're based in California. Took 3-4 weeks to arrive, I'm in Toronto.
    Yeah he is the same guy as the yoshihiro store I was talking about. Just curious, what did you get from them and how do you like it?

All of my packages from them have arrived in roughly two weeks. I've ordered a 270 'hagane' gyuto, a 270 blue kiritsuke, and a 300 white yanagiba. All have been superb, in performance and fit and finish. The yanagiba came with no low or high spots, whatsoever, which impressed me a lot. The kiritsuke had two low spots, at the heel and the tip, near the shinogi, and not affecting the edge. I don't know what steel the gyuto is, it feels like white on the stones, but is perhaps a bit more reactive, and with less edge retention than my white Konosuke. It's a bit thicker behind the edge too. All told, I've been very happy with my Yoshihiros.

Well I've got an order in for a 300 yanagi and a 210 usuba, looking forward to getting them!

I have a 300 hongasumi blue #2 yanagi, and a 270 stainless gyuto that I got for cheap. Happy with both, my gyuto was one of the ones they messed around putting a hamaguriba edge on. It looks ugly but cuts well, and can be fixed visually if you put in the time to polish it. I just never bothered since it only cost $100.

The geometry on the gyuto is a good balance between ultra thin and durability. Thinner than my ux10 but thicker than Konosukue. Keep in mind they're single bevel but not in the traditional japanese knife sense. I felt it was a bit chippy with a single bevel so I added a slight back edge to it, I would say 90/10. As for the yanagi, it's probably the best bang for buck on the market since the finishing is much superior to a Tanaka.

are you the same dude on rfd and ch?

they also have Yoshihiros on Amazon sold by Hayate corp. Maybe it would be easier to purchase that way.

Respond to previous post: Wow, I could have told Koki to do that gift thing. After that $90 duty fee, he told me he would do separate charges where I ended up paying only $18. But now that $20 gift thing sounds too tempting to pass up!

Haven't received it yet but should be here very soon. The tracking number shows that it was shipped out on April 29th. Today May 3rd and I see that my package has entered and passed customs and is sitting in a scarborough postal facility. I think it will probably be out for delivery tomorrow.

Very fast shipping, but I was lucky it didn't get stuck sitting in customs for a few weeks.

Can't comment on the duty thing, being I live in the US, but, I have purchased from myjapaneeds many times with great customer service. I bought a suji years back, that had a blonde ferrule pictured. In other listings it said "ferrule color may vary" but not this one. When I received it, it was black. I mentioned it to him, and he sent me a blonde immediately, BEFORE I even sent the black back! And he payed for all shipping charges! The " Ferrule color may vary" was added immediately to the post.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread