Quantcast
Any Canadians order from yoshihiro cutlery on ebay?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Canadians order from yoshihiro cutlery on ebay?

Any Canadians order from yoshihiro cutlery on ebay?

Just wondering if you got dinged with duties crossing the border? Yoshihiro Cutlery used to be called Japaneeds previously and sell a lot of yoshihiro blades on ebay.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure anything coming into Canada,regardless from where,will get dinged with duties.Just a fact of life for us Canadians.

I'm 3-0 this year! No duties so far, but I did have a package held for over 2 weeks by customs!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

How did you manage to bypass duties? And why would customs hold your pakage for 2+ weeks? Bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    How did you manage to bypass duties? And why would customs hold your pakage for 2+ weeks? Bastards!
    Actually many things get by without being charged duties. I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why certain things get through. Last year I shipped a set of winter tires that got through without any charges. A lot of people who bought from the same company had no charges, but some who bought from a different company did have charges...but not sure if its random or what.

Lefty,

Did you order from that same site?

Actually the amount of duty on knives is minimal anyways and taxes are a given. The real culprit that makes cross-border shopping expensive is courier handling charges which can be over $50. To avoid these, always ask the seller to ship USPS, which then passes it off to Canada Post with only a $5 handling fee. As for customs, I can find no method in their madness. I've had items take from 3 days to 3 weeks to clear!

+1.
    It's crazy....
    09/06

I haven't bought from this ebay store, but to generalize the costs...
    50% currier
    25% taxes
    25% duty

There's some tricks to the trade.
    1)ask to have them shipped as tools or motorcycle or car parts. These items are excluded from duty. The companies that don't fill the import information in throughly drive extra costs to us canuks.
    2) ask to have them shipped as a gift. you put yourself at risk here - as it becomes more difficult to insure the package >$100
    3)best bet is #1 if you have to buy over seas
    4)buy locally, or within Canada. when you add up your shipping costs, taxes etc, you are not saving money, and you are taking an opportunity away from our Canadian economy. There's some great vendors here - I know of 4 I'd recommend - and they can get what ever you want (if they can't then maybe I should do this part time)

I agree, it's always great to support your own economy! That goes for American or Canadian customers.
    Unfortunately, it isn't always an option for what we are all after.
    That's why guys like jon are nice to have around. They help two "local economies" (for him, US and Japanese - where he has family).
    We have a great domestic market AND product, here and we should all remember that.
    Either way, it is great to support smaller manufacturers who really feel our support, whether in Canada, USA or Japan.
    09/06

All of this customs talk reminds me of why i love buying from JCK. I love my little $20 "gifts" from Koki, even when they cost $300+