• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm currently looking for a deba. This will be my first deba, although not my first single bevel knife. I'm looking for something around the 180-195mm mark, good carbon steel, with a nice and true grind.

I'm essentially after a good starter deba, that I won't necessarily want to trade up from in six months time.

What's important to me are edge taking and holding and toughness. Handles and f&f can be fixed or upgraded down the track.

The fish I break down range from 1.5-2kg john dory to 7-8 kg hapuka and barramundi. I'm guessing that this size will be able to accomodate my needs, and if anything else smaller comes along, I'll have an excuse to buy a ko-deba down the track.

Price wise, I'd like to keep it around 200-250, but I'd consider most things if something amazing, or great value for money came up.

Thanks very much,
Dusty

I've been looking at the Sakai ichimonji, and that yoshikane looks great; but if I could something second hand, that would be ideal.

I recalled Messe Jessy wanted to upgraded his Masamoto KK 180mm deba.

My main reason not to get yoshikane is because I already have a Shigefusa 180 and a KS 195 mm.

I did, but we're old friends, and I'm not ready to part with it. Highly recommend the KK Deba though! It's nothing fancy, but I've used mine almost everyday for the past 2 years at work and it's always performed well. It's white steel, but it's very easy to sharpen and touch up. They can be had for $264 new at JCK.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I ended up buying a deba from Schanop that he very generously offered. :doublethumbsup:

Only three or four knives left and my collection will be finished. Then there's the matter of upgrades.

We've all heard that before... ;)

Which deba did you end up getting?

I bought one from Keiichi (Blue Way Japan). its a solid knife, unfortunately I don't use it much even less than my Usuba. I will say that for butchering fish Deba is unparalleled. I only wish I discovered this style of knife when my Portuguese father was alive. He would have been blown away with the speed, power and agility it has in butchering fish.

A Sakai ichimonji kichikuni. Looking forward to it!

deba0.jpg

This white steel (now 195mm) deba has been posted, hopefully arriving tomorrow.

Nice blade! Let me know if you ever get tired of that Shig deba...

Shig deba :nunchucks: Masa KS, may be. I've found myself checking aframe's yoshikane deba page every now and then hoping to see someone buy it so temptation would be eliminated for a bit longer.

+Dusty, auspost tracking says that it is onboard with the driver now. Hopefully you will get a good use out of the knife.

Deba arrived yesterday safe and sound. Thanks again schanop!

Back