Cocktails

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
What are your favorite cocktail recipes? I am looking for some ideas for a get together I am having next week :biggrin: Cheers

Gin, soda, lime.
Whiskey.
If I do a cocktail, it is usually based on what I have in the house, often contains alcohol, sour, sweet.

Classic martini:

Bombay gin / Noilly Prat dry vermouth, 4:1

Three olives.

Stirred, never shaken.

If it's made with vodka, it ain't a martini! :razz:

These are all great suggestions, but I'm looking for something that people who do not usually drink alcoholic beverages will enjoy. Personally, I think martinis and gin drinks are acquired tastes.

For those that don't drink a lot of cocktails, gin and tonic is hard to beat. If they want sweet, rum and coke. Or maybe long island ice tea.

Personally I like bourbon and gingerale. But for non-drinkers, a Sloe Gin Fizz or Fuzzy Navel can be good ones.

Besides rum and coke, and gin and tonic. I'd go with a mudslide (2 parts Kahlua, 2 parts Irish Cream, 1 part milk). To give it a seasonal flare, you can always substitute those flavored creamers they use for coffee to change things up. Right now I'd make it with pumpkin spice. Either serve on the rocks, or blend to make an alcoholic smoothy.

I do love St. Germaine. I use it on a regular basis for drinks.

I will try out some of these recipes, thanks all!

Also, I got some saffron infused vodka. What can I make with that?

A jigger of Hendricks Gin, just shy a jigger of St. Germain, half of a lime squeezed. Shake, pour and consume.

k.

I am not too far off on that one - mine is 5:1 ratio of Hendricks to St. Germain cut three or four slices of cucumber and shake, pour and consume.

I find St. Germain to be a little too sweet for my taste, but then I drink most gin on the rocks.

I am not too far off on that one - mine is 5:1 ratio of Hendricks to St. Germain cut three or four slices of cucumber and shake, pour and consume.

I find St. Germain to be a little too sweet for my taste, but then I drink most gin on the rocks.

I agree that it can be too sweet. Sometimes I only put a splash in but I usually lean more towards a 2:1 ratio myself, though when I make it for others I make it just shy of 1:1. The lime does cut the sweetness a bit.

Maybe I should do a multiple ratio comparison with myself to figure this out :)

k.

Juice of one lemon, 1-2 tbs simple syrup, 2 oz of your favorite bourbon. Top with a curl of lemon rind and a maraschino cherry.

I agree. Any port..... Especially if you have some Stilton (or similar) and some toasted walnuts. :doublethumbsup:

:word:

And maybe a nice Partagas Black Label or Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970, just to complete the sybaritic scenario. :happymug:

I've never been able to tell the difference between stirred and shaken...what does shaking do that changes the taste anyways? (In reference to Gin martinis)

Junglebird:
1.5oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1.5oz Fresh Pineapple Juice
.75oz Campari
.5oz lime juice
.5oz simple syrup
Sprig of mint for garnish.

Combine all (except mint) in shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain into old fashioned glass with fresh ice. Hold mint sprig in one hand and lightly bruise it against your other palm with a few slaps. Break off the stem of the sprig if it is too long, stick the shortened bunch into the glass. Serve without as*straw so you get a nose full of mint w each sip.

Sounds sweet, but it's very nicely balanced and drys out on the finish.

Just sat down to a Dark and Stormy-

Dark rum( I like Myers) and ginger beer over ice. reminds me of day spent floating around the Caribbean....

I've never been able to tell the difference between stirred and shaken...what does shaking do that changes the taste anyways? (In reference to Gin martinis)

The thinking is that shaking disrupts the botanicals in the gin where stirring simply cools and disperses some water from the ice. I have never done a taste test but that may be a scientific adventure worth taking.

Back