Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, Max here. Japanese knives dancing in my head

Hi, Max here. Japanese knives dancing in my head

Hi guys,

Im a budding chef. Used to work in kitchens back in Singapore.

Came to NY to study at the CIA.

Basically I am keen to find out more about Japanese knives.

Looking into Yoshihiro knives. I realize that not many people mention about their knives. I see them on Amazon selling and here

http://www.echefknife.com/blue-steel...0.5-270mm.html

and

Tsujiki Masamoto knives http://www.mtckitchen.com

I do have a carbon steel gyuto, however I realize that whenever I cut acidic foods or onions, the food get this grey staining... is there a way to prevent that?

Or do I just avoid using it all together?

Thanks

MAx

Engorged Member
    welcome!
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Welcome Max,
    Jon at JKI sells Yoshihiro, but they are branded by another name (I believe it is Gesshin Uraku?). They are good knives, but you get what you pay for and Yoshihiro goes from very budget to pretty freakin expensive.
    I own a Yoshihiro Takohiki that I bought on Amazon for super-cheap. It was a good deal and I would personally recommend their knives.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by MaximuSsam View Post
    I do have a carbon steel gyuto, however I realize that whenever I cut acidic foods or onions, the food get this grey staining... is there a way to prevent that? Or do I just avoid using it all together?
    Hehe... You'll find a whole bunch of people here who will no doubt advise you on the beauty of your knife's new 'look'! Selamat datang ke KKF

Welcome!

Welcome aboard!

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Hehe... You'll find a whole bunch of people here who will no doubt advise you on the beauty of your knife's new 'look'! Selamat datang ke KKF
    Lol you from singapore or msia?

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Welcome Max,
    Jon at JKI sells Yoshihiro, but they are branded by another name (I believe it is Gesshin Uraku?). They are good knives, but you get what you pay for and Yoshihiro goes from very budget to pretty freakin expensive.
    I own a Yoshihiro Takohiki that I bought on Amazon for super-cheap. It was a good deal and I would personally recommend their knives.

My chef from Momofuku Ssam bar, NY introduced me to a guy Jon too and to give him a call if I want to get knives. However he didnt tell me more abt him. He is based in LA and thats all he said. I guess JKI Jon is that jon?