Hi, Max here. Japanese knives dancing in my head

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximuSsam

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im a budding chef. Used to work in kitchens back in Singapore.

Came to NY to study at the CIA.

Basically I am keen to find out more about Japanese knives.

Looking into Yoshihiro knives. I realize that not many people mention about their knives. I see them on Amazon selling and here

http://www.echefknife.com/blue-steel-damascus-yanagi-kiritsuke-sword-type-chef-knife-10.5-270mm.html

and

Tsujiki Masamoto knives http://www.mtckitchen.com

I do have a carbon steel gyuto, however I realize that whenever I cut acidic foods or onions, the food get this grey staining... is there a way to prevent that?

Or do I just avoid using it all together?

Thanks

MAx

Welcome Max,
Jon at JKI sells Yoshihiro, but they are branded by another name (I believe it is Gesshin Uraku?). They are good knives, but you get what you pay for and Yoshihiro goes from very budget to pretty freakin expensive.
I own a Yoshihiro Takohiki that I bought on Amazon for super-cheap. It was a good deal and I would personally recommend their knives.

I do have a carbon steel gyuto, however I realize that whenever I cut acidic foods or onions, the food get this grey staining... is there a way to prevent that? Or do I just avoid using it all together?

Hehe... You'll find a whole bunch of people here who will no doubt advise you on the beauty of your knife's new 'look'! Selamat datang ke KKF

Welcome Max,
Jon at JKI sells Yoshihiro, but they are branded by another name (I believe it is Gesshin Uraku?). They are good knives, but you get what you pay for and Yoshihiro goes from very budget to pretty freakin expensive.
I own a Yoshihiro Takohiki that I bought on Amazon for super-cheap. It was a good deal and I would personally recommend their knives.

My chef from Momofuku Ssam bar, NY introduced me to a guy Jon too and to give him a call if I want to get knives. However he didnt tell me more abt him. He is based in LA and thats all he said. I guess JKI Jon is that jon?

Welcome to the forum, Max!

And yes, I'm sure we're talking about the same Jon.

Jon (and his wife, Sara) are members/vendors here, with their own subforum (Japanese Knife Imports).

Welcome. Go north on route 9 about 25 minutes to warren cutlery. They have a pretty big selection of japanese knive and they will let you play aroun with all of them

Back