Quantcast
210 verus 240? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 210 verus 240?

I think 210mm is just too small. A 240mm will be a lot better for you.

Japanese knives (or Japanese style knives) are so light and nimble feeling, that a little extra length feels very manageable. My first Japanese style knife was 270mm, and while it's clearly overkill for a single guy often cooking for himself, it's so much fun to use! Before the "disease" took hold and the size of my collection increased, I used it for everything from one shallot on up and felt just fine doing so (not in a terribly large kitchen either, though I have a decent amount of counter space and a 14x20 cutting board).

If you have to choose just one "standard" size, 240mm seems like a good compromise between 210mm and 270mm; not too big and not too small. If you buy a good 240mm knife and find that the size doesn't suit you, you should be able to unload it here in the B/S/T subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    I think 210mm is just too small. A 240mm will be a lot better for you.
    Btw when I was originally around here I tortured myself on your same thoughts, santoku vs 210 vs 240. Now I have a very nimble and not large at all 270mm and would never buy smaller. If I get another size it would be a 300mm. My two favorite knives are 270mm.

240mm gyutos are light and nimble.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Is there a knife store nearby where you can try some different sizes? Best thing to do is check them out in person.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Is there a knife store nearby where you can try some different sizes? Best thing to do is check them out in person.
    Good advice. hold both and see which one feels better.

May I respectfully disagree? Your first impression is often wrong. I would rather say, get one size larger than the one you're comfortable with. You'll get used to it in no time, and later you will appreciate the extra possibilities.
    I've found my 240 gyuto somewhat intimidating until I got a 270 suji. During a few weeks I've been using a 290 chef knife and my other knives seemed short. So, it's very relative. And to get used to it, do everything with it. A small onion, garlic, one tomato, a sandwich: take your 240.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    Good advice. hold both and see which one feels better.
    +1
    I always tell people this too. What sounds like a good length might be too short or too long. You should also consider how much space you have and what you're going to be cutting. Personally, I never need more than a 210mm knife, since I'm not a professional. Most things are already portioned for me at the grocery store.

Yes, it's good to get used to a longer knife, because it will make life easier later. But if you're not going to use the extra length or if it's going to get in the way, no point.

Wow. An old debate with lots of new opinions.

I have to jump in on the side of the "small knife" adherents. My most often used knife is a 180mm Marko. I mean, 240mm to make a sandwich? I can't remember the last time I slaughtered a pumpkin, and even big screen TV's have their useful limits.

So try a 210mm; get the right one and you won't have to worry about it getting dull fast either.

I got to second Steve on 180mm. I use it exclusively for small cutting tasks, and bigger knives or more substantial, like making dinner for more than 2 people. 210 or 225 would be my suggestion.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread