Stainless Steel Clad?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonhaber

Reaction score
Another newb question...

I see some nice carbon knives from $150-200ish that are not stainless clad and for $100 more some nice that are clad with stainless. So the price is $100-150 more or almost 2x the cost.

Is this premium really worth it for the piece of mind? I know with money its all relative. My thought process is either save a bit and get a $150 dollar knife or wait a year or more and buy something nicer that has stainless on it.

Just looking for some feed back on this...

Thanks!
Jon

I don't think stainless cladding is necessarily more expensive. The Hiro AS is one of the cheapest knives around and it's cladded stainless. Depends on yourself and how careful you or the people using the knife are. Personally in work I cut loads of acidic things and other people use my knives so I would go with clad carbon, but if you are careful I'd probably go without it. Something to note is that kurouchi finish helps with carbon blade reactivity because there is less of the blade exposed

As mentioned the Hiromoto AS is a popular blade for good reason,the core steel is excellent & is stainless clad(san mai)at a reasonable price.

Depends what you like,I prefer mono steel carbons,and as you pointed out some fine tools in the 150.00-200.00 range.Konosuki 240 white steel 183.00--Sakai carbons fr. blueway are excellent as well.I hear the Kono's maybe going up in price soon.

If you like stainless look the Hiromoto is a good choice.However if you don't mind patina carbons,they are easy to sharpen,get a screaming edge,& onced patina is formed just hand wash & dry well.Carbons work well when they are being used alot,if not keep a coat of oil on them & store correctly.

Back