Zakuri 165mm Blue #1 Kurouchi Tosagata Bocho - $70?!? Thoughts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can be sure that Jon provides only quality products, I would never hesitate to buy anything he would put in his store. I am not affiliated with JKI, but have bought quite a few knives from JKI and will continue to do so because of the best customer service anywhere, and excellent products. There are some Zakuri owners here that are happy with the knives and some reviews I believe.

Jon Broida, the owner of JKI, is very helpful and knowledgeable, if you have any questions just call or email.

.I love mine. It gets really sharp and had a very flat profile. Great bang for the buck

@shinob1 Can you compare it to any other similar knives (santoku) you have used?

The other santoku I have used is a Henkel and this knife is shorter. Technically it is not a santoku. I'd reach out to John at JKI he can clarify the differences.

I love mine...not as tall as the 2 santoku's I have (Shig and Mizuno), but love the steel and the overall shape...I consider it a cross between a santoku and a petty (like tkern said similar to a petty with more knuckle room).

the ferrule is plastic and not so nice while the handle itself is rather nice walnut...I am planning on rehandling at some point, but the stock d-shape feels fine in hand. It is a quite a value for a small utility knife, but definitely not a display piece.

:knife:

I'd trust anything that Jon offers really. I bought one of the cheap tosagata knives off of Japan Woodworker for sharpening practice way back when and like it. The one at JKI looks even better. I kinda wish I had one to play with.

k.

If Jon offers it, it's better than anything you can find locally...unless you live in Seki, or something....

Also, you'd be surprised how nice of a size 165 is for lots of tasks. Two knives I use A LOT are my Rodrigue and Marr knives that are about 170ish. Very handy blades!

Looks like a great deal. And Jon really does stand behind what he sells. I'd say pull the trigger. Blue steel is awesome. If you have any hesitation, just give him a ring.

Forget about the ferrule, or handle material for a minute those can always be replaced. Great steel is the soul of a great knife and #2 Aogami is great steel. If I was looking for a small task knife I'd pull the trigger on that myself.

Back