Quantcast
Santoku as primary knife? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santoku as primary knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I think I'd rather use a petty as my all purpose blade than a santoku....They never feel right to me.
    x2.

A 6" petty would be more useful as a small all-purpose knife.

I wonder how do you chop food with narrow blade like petty?? In japan, petty is like fruit knife; santoku is more all-purpose/home-chef's knife!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    x2.

A 6" petty would be more useful as a small all-purpose knife.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I wonder how do you chop food with narrow blade like petty?? In japan, petty is like fruit knife; santoku is more all-purpose/home-chef's knife!!
    Have to agree. I use my petty strictly for trimming proteins. I'd rather use a santoku(even though I don't really care for them) as my all purpose over a petty, any day. Potato prep alone should make you think twice about that one...

All that being said- I'd take a Chukabocho over all the rest if I was forced to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    All that being said- I'd take a Chukabocho over all the rest if I was forced to pick.
    +1..+1.. I'm Asian, I used Chinese cleaver all my cook life! I think small vegetable cleaver or medium all-purpose cleaver is best all-around knife for kitchen. only draw back is it won't do good for slicing job due to short blade
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonhaber View Post
    Hi all, sorry for starting so many threads today. I tried searching but couldn't find a thread about this.

I know there is a lot of love for gyutos in this form but was just wondering if anyone uses a santoku as their primary knife and if so why the santoku over the gyuto.

I am new here, we use a shun santoku as our primary knife but after reading on this forum we may try a gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by megapuff5 View Post
    I am new here, we use a shun santoku as our primary knife but after reading on this forum we may try a gyuto
    You better find out what is exactly what you dislike about your santoku. Too short, too flat, tip too low, too blunt?? It allows you to make a better choice. A lot of gyutos and a lot of santokus have a lot in common.

Fortunately as a home cook I'm not restricted to a "primary knife". I have a couple santokus and use them regularly. It just depends on what I'm doing and what knife makes me happy at the moment.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Fortunately as a home cook I'm not restricted to a "primary knife". I have a couple santokus and use them regularly. It just depends on what I'm doing and what knife makes me happy at the moment.
    +1
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I know it's not the popular opinion around here, but I don't mind using a santoku. I really like a lot more blade height when I'm chopping up veggies, and if you're in a smaller space, santokus usually run much taller for a given length. I also tend to use santokus that have a bit more of a tip to them, but every knife has it's limits.

For me santoku is good in small spaces, nice knuckle clearance, and decent utility over a nakiri with a pointy tip. I still like gyuto better, but I started out with a little santoku and that thing still kicks ass.

+ Reply to Thread