Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santoku as primary knife?

Santoku as primary knife?

Hi all, sorry for starting so many threads today. I tried searching but couldn't find a thread about this.

I know there is a lot of love for gyutos in this form but was just wondering if anyone uses a santoku as their primary knife and if so why the santoku over the gyuto.

I wouldn't recommend this at all. For one, the gyuto shape is much more versatile than the santoku. Another reason is that santokus only go to like 18 or 21 cm, which is too small I think, as I said in your other thread. I don't really get santokus to be honest

A longer gyuto paired with a nakiri could outperform the santoku in every way, in my opinion. If space is that much an issue, get shorter gyuto. If it is the longer size your are worried about, a well designed knife has always felt, to me, more nimble and easier to use than a shorter poorly designed knife.

I have to admit that the first Asian style knife I used was a Wüsthof Grand Prix 7" santoku. It was what got me interested in Japanese knives. When I got my first gyuto, a 240 Kagayaki VG10 from JCK, I put away the santoku and never went back to using one, although I did buy (and sell) a Hattori HD and a Tosagata.

The only possible reason I could see for using one now would be if I was in extremely cramped quarters, like a boat galley or a studio apartment with 11" countertops. Even then, I'd opt for a 180 gyuto.

Having said all that, the choice of a primary knife is a personal one. If a santoku works for you, that's great.

Rick

On of my sisters gave me a Wustof santoku once. it sits in a drawer, my wife uses it rarely, and if sis comes over she might pick it up, butt I find it annoying. I prefer my old Victorinox chefs over it!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I used one on and off for a couple of years and tried to like it, but a Gyuto is really a much better tool IMO. I tried a Shun Classic, but gave it to my wife.

Engorged Member
    A santoku is a knife by committee-it does many things okay, but nothing well.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Before I started hanging around forums I used a Mac mighty santoku for years and loved it. Still use it at home and still think its wonderful.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Before I started hanging around forums I used a Mac mighty santoku for years and loved it. Still use it at home and still think its wonderful.
    I used a MAC Superior for several years and finally gave it to my sister, who loves it. Thin, sharp, light and agile, I still think for many people it is a great knife.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I love santoku, its more easy to handling than gyuto. the shorter & wider blade make it a great utility knife for home cooking! however, I won't use Santoku as primary knife..... I paired 165mm santoku with my 240mm gyuto!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!