My 1st real Wa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
I tried my first mortise and tenon wa today. I glued it all up a few days ago, and had today off to screw around with it. I assumed this was going to be easy and had visions of perfectly angled and planed octogan wa's..........
........not so much.
I have no prior woodworking experience and am teaching myself via the trial and error method. I tend to learn a lot more from my failures than my successes.
And let me say I've been learning a lot lately!!!:cheffry:

I rehandled my Tojiro Nakiri. It's a cheapo that I actually do like. It cuts well for the $50 price.
Knowing that I am sure to screw this one up, I went to my local Woodcraft store and bought some budget knife handle blocks. I think I spent about $20 and got (it was labeled as) African Blackwood and Redwood Burl. Neither one looked great, but they ended up being decent pieces and I've even got enough leftover to do a small wa next.
It's not straight, equilateral or even close to correct. But I'll give it a shot and see how she does. I can always go back and take a little more off later.
I do think the wood is pretty. I think I got lucky this time.
IMG_5030.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5029.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5028.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5027.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5026.jpg
[/IMG]

I've got Mike Henry's phone #. I'm going to call him soon for some advice, as soon as I figure exactly how much it is that I don't know.

Looks nice. What epoxy/glue did you use to attach it and how did you get the handle off? I have the 210 from the same line, love the blade, hate the handle.

What epoxy/glue did you use to attach it and how did you get the handle off?
I use a CA gap filling epoxy. I thought I could just chisel the handle off, but I ended up having to cut (with a dremel cutting wheel) at the top and bottom of the spine.

I was at knerd's house this evening for dinner and visiting the grandkids (and washing some clothes). Tried twice to sneak that nakiri out the door, but no luck. :eek2:
Besides, the cleaver that I already stole does a fine job for prepping most of my meals!

you learn a lot from the first ones. way to go chris

looks comfortable. Use the disk,not the belt. make a square and knock off the corners. Octagon.

I know some (including me) think that the rounded square handles like this don't look as nice as the octagons, but I really do think they feel more comfortable in my hand than handles with sharp corners. Nice work.

That looks good knerd - congrats and welcome to the dark side. I like the Shirogami line too. They are hard to beat for the price and once they are tuned up they rock.

Very nice first attempt, and it does look very comfy.

Thats a pretty awesome first attempt! That wood looks real nice on it!!! I dont mind the round handles I think it is more comfy, the D shape isnt a bad shape either!
What shop did you go to get the wood?

Back