Media Good Eats Bouillabaisse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Fed

Reaction score
I'm sitting here relaxing before work watching good eats as I usually do ( it's a repeat of the bouillabaisse episode ) and noticed that Alton opts for what looks to be a carbon sabatier in favor of his shuns. Feeling a little nostalgic are we alton? ;x. It can be seen at around 11:20 in while dicing vegies and 15:20 in while breaking down the seafood. Just thought I'd share.

[video=youtube;-bHXcDMRo7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bHXcDMRo7I[/video]

I would say his sponsorship ran out. Then went back to old tried and true.
I never would have known he had a sponsorship with anyone just from watching the shows.

I really doubt he is doing it for sponsorship reasons--his book, Gear for your Kitchen, he still says his 10" Shun Chef's is his "Desert Island" knife. He doesn't side in that book with sponsors--the "hardware stores" listed in the back are Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, etc.

He does have a brief detail on his Carter SFGZ Santoku. Also, on the contents page there is an SFGZ Nakiri. But with knife obsession and his Julia Child love, you gotta know he's got at least a full set of Sabs.

What? Nobody's going to bring up "Alton's Angle"?

dm0721.jpg

I would love to see a candid interview with him about those Angled knives. HE never even uses them, they are the biggest facepalm in his career! Even bigger than being the D.P. for this video:
[video=youtube;j7oQEPfe-O8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7oQEPfe-O8[/video]

Dam I have to start picking up his books.
His "cookbook", I'm Just Here for the Food, is like On Food and Cooking for people who don't like to read.

I've seen him pull out the Sab a couple of times on his early shows, always makes me happy.

Took the day off today from both jobs and will probably break out my babies to cook some Irish-American fare. Always makes me happy as well.

I love Bouillabaisse,you would think from this forum & the many cooks on it that persons in the field have good knives & sharpening knowledge.From my experience it is not the norm.Many home cooks here have better knives & more sharpening knowledge than most professional cooks.

In my early days in Hotel Kit. many of the major Hotels had European Chefs.German,Swiss,French.A longtime friend of mine Hans,one of the best bakers in Hawaii(he is even older than me).His father was killed in WW2 & when the Russians were advancing a Tank took him, his sister & Mother toward the American lines.

The most used knife,myself included were Forschners.Generally sharpening had many forms.Depending on the country of origin.For the most part cooks take pretty good care of their knives,they have to.Martin Weisse(Swiss) hired me at Kahala in 1982 because the Hotel needed a Ice Carver.I had learned how to do Ice at Sheraton Waikiki.One of my first jobs at Kahala was Butcher helper.A local Japanese,George Masamoto was the the Butcher,he only used Carbon knives & knew how to sharpen them.He got me my first Carbon Masamoto Gyuto.Not long after we had a Sushi Promotion & brought in guys from Japan.A Sushi Chef taught me how to sharpen my new Masamoto.I still use that same tech.it was so good.I was lucky to have a couple guys steer me in the right direction.

Even today,many cooks are into Japanese knives.Most lack good sharpening knowledge,enough to get them by,sometimes not.I have taught quite a few cooks how to sharpen.

Skip the knives that he used part. I loved the flash back to France part at the first. Been there and done that with those folks. :) The French can be "difficult" sometimes.

Every time I see this thread on the title page I read it as "God eats bouillabaisse".

Every time I see this thread on the title page I read it as "God eats bouillabaisse".

Well....there's no doubt, in my mind, that he does eat Bouillabaisse. Any self respecting deity would.

Back