Quantcast
Best Gyuto and Nakiri for under $400 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Gyuto and Nakiri for under $400

Thanks Len and Mike9. I think all this will get more complicated before it gets easier--the J-curve of knife acquisition. I just wish there were someplace close by (I'm in DC) where I could try a few things out.

You could see a few knives at The Best Things, no way of trying them though. As for gyuto though, I would be looking at the Kochi line from Jon...fairly thick spine, but thin behind the edge and a great cutter.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

theres a konosuke HD nakiri 180mm in the b/s/t trade section for only $135. with a saya. its a steal.

Just my opinion I'd up the budget and order a knife from Dave Martell. It's well worth the wait and good value for the money. Also includes lifetime sharpening which in my opinion is a great value because Dave's sharpening is top notch.

I would vote Tanaka #2 blue sekiso damascus gyuto and a Kono 180mm nakiri in HD or White #2. I have a Tanaka blue #2 Kurouchi nakiri and love it, toom so that may be an option, but it is rougher around the edges. Haven't tried the damascus nakiri yet from Tanaka.

Thanks all. I saw that Kono Nakiri too, but too late!

As far as nakiris go, this summer I picked up a Zensho (Kunio Isikawa) nakiri from Maxim, as after some discussion he recommended that one over a Shigefusa nakiri. It's thin, blue core, stainless cladding and I love it--it's definitely the most fun knife I have. It seems like he's out of stock at the moment, but you could email/pm him to see if he'll be getting any more!
    - Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Amon-Rukh View Post
    As far as nakiris go, this summer I picked up a Zensho (Kunio Isikawa) nakiri from Maxim, as after some discussion he recommended that one over a Shigefusa nakiri. It's thin, blue core, stainless cladding and I love it--it's definitely the most fun knife I have. It seems like he's out of stock at the moment, but you could email/pm him to see if he'll be getting any more!
    yeah that knife does look pretty awesome. the best knives are always out of stock lol

+ Reply to Thread