the wolves of winter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Burke

Reaction score
So only a month ago we are in danger of burnining up in a forest fire. This morning about 3;44 am I wake up to wolves howling just out side. I didn't see them but they were close. Then to top it off I wake to 3-4 inches of snow and still lightly snowing. well its a good day to forge. Oh pictures of wolves that have been around this part of the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dancing with the stars - Idaho

Those girls are sure hairy in your neck of the woods, Bill.

Bill: personally I find these photos disturbing and unnecessary.

Down with Team Jacob....

I own too many slicers to find dead animals disturbing.

Not at all. Dancing with hunted wolves? Give me a break. I respect ones right to their opinions but yes I am disturbed by the photos, that's my opinion.

Btw- I grew up with a houseful of german shepherds, and have lived side by side with dogs of all breeds my entire life. These dogs are far removed from that.

Actually I am very familiar with the actual data regarding this subject, and find your anecdotal comment typical and uneducated.

Btw- I am not looking to argue or change anyone's opinion, we are all entitled, but wanted to share mine

I don't think its the image that Eric is finding disturbing but the necessity to show it in the first place. Obviously if the wolves are threatening your livelihood or safety you need to take action but just displaying photos as a "hey look I killed this" is un-necessary. Its sort of like having all the bottles of whiskey you've drank displayed on a shelf in the living room.

Cute. No need to make it personal.

Fair enough. I just don't see any wrong in showcasing your kills. The term 'fair game' rises in this instance. Bill didn't use the term dancing. That was another forum member. Not that I'm judging them for that, just saying.

Cute. No need to make it personal.

I wasn't trying to make it personal. Just poking fun. Nobody takes things too terribly serious around here. A difference of opinion is always welcomed in my book. Welcome to the forums btw:)

I don't think its the image that Eric is finding disturbing but the necessity to show it in the first place. Obviously if the wolves are threatening your livelihood or safety you need to take action but just displaying photos as a "hey look I killed this" is un-necessary. Its sort of like having all the bottles of whiskey you've drank displayed on a shelf in the living room.

Don't tell all those guys that make a living off of selling trophies that!

Killing something that doesnt have access.. ability... just being an animal .. to the abundance of technology that we have is show casing skill? I have no problem with people protecting things that help them and their family but dont ask for applause for killing something thats just following its natural instinct.

Killing something that doesnt have access.. ability... just being an animal .. to the abundance of technology that we have is show casing skill? I have no problem with people protecting things that help them and their family but dont ask for applause for killing something thats just following its natural instinct.

Ok- I can't speak for Bill's intent on this post. Thats for him to state obviously. It doesn't seem to me as though those were trophy kills honestly(my prior posts not withstanding. I was just kidding around. Sorry if it came across as dickish. I'm a few too many beers in). It appears that he was just using those to illustrate that there is some intimidatingly large wolves in his area, and that hearing them howl outside your window could be a bit harrowing. Especially if you have animals that could be construed as prey to said wolves. But as I said- it's his post not mine.

Moral of this post: Big wolves suck. Beer and tequila are great ambassadors.

Both of those statements are very subjective. But I will subjectively agree with the latter part. Especially in regards to the part about tequila.(how did you know I was drinking tequila tonight btw...?)

After working with my brother at a wolf sanctuary in FL, I have mixed feelings. My time there crystallized the fact that wolves can never be pets, and the market that attempts to make them such is more cruel than the hunting of wild wolves.

Working with former ranchers, the credibility of financial and human threat isn't as high as it is with mountain lions, but its not nothing either.

When I lived in Alaska we had a huge tourism industry and a tiny ranching industry, when the poster wolf for the pack at the opening of Denali was killed in 2001, the shooter never came forward, because there was no local sympathy ... on the other hand we did kill and eat grizzly because park officials felt strongly that the population inside the park hadn't picked up any bad habits, and it was worth one kill to keep it that way. Sometimes you have to be the bad guy, and it can be a more ethical decision than eating pounds of pork simply because you don't fancy anthropomorphizing hogs.

Bottom line ... keeping a healthy population with its own space is everyone's shared goal, but strategy for individual cases is best left to local professionals, and not nerds like me.

wow!:shocked3: they are much bigger than I thought... I kinda picture wolf just like big German Shepherd!!:spin chair: excuse me but I living in the city all my life. lol:wink:

I agree with Eric. I found the photos disturbing. I always find hunting/trophy photos disturbing. IDK, braggng about killing something doesn't seem right to me. Just this gun toting lefty's opinion.

Last time I saw a wolf was camping in Northern Utah/south idaho and it was just a scrawny litte thing, those are some well fed wolves.

I agree with Eric. I found the photos disturbing........... IDK, braggng about killing something doesn't seem right to me. Just this gun toting lefty's opinion.

I do not understand why people argue about this:dontknow:?? there are hundred posted pic./video about how to dismembered/killing fish in KKF. :scratchhead:Doesn't all life created equally?? just:my2cents:

I'm with the wolves on this one. Clearly, the subtext was "Dancing With Wolves", and the photos were intended to be amusing.
While I'm sure many found them so, I did not.
There several are regions of this country that, over the years, I have avoided re-visiting; always because of the people, never because of the wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back