Quantcast
the wolves of winter - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the wolves of winter

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Killing something that doesnt have access.. ability... just being an animal .. to the abundance of technology that we have is show casing skill? I have no problem with people protecting things that help them and their family but dont ask for applause for killing something thats just following its natural instinct.
    Ok- I can't speak for Bill's intent on this post. Thats for him to state obviously. It doesn't seem to me as though those were trophy kills honestly(my prior posts not withstanding. I was just kidding around. Sorry if it came across as dickish. I'm a few too many beers in). It appears that he was just using those to illustrate that there is some intimidatingly large wolves in his area, and that hearing them howl outside your window could be a bit harrowing. Especially if you have animals that could be construed as prey to said wolves. But as I said- it's his post not mine.

Moral of this post: Big wolves suck. Beer and tequila are great ambassadors.

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Moral of this post: Big wolves suck. Beer and tequila are great ambassadors.
    Both of those statements are very subjective. But I will subjectively agree with the latter part. Especially in regards to the part about tequila.(how did you know I was drinking tequila tonight btw...?)

After working with my brother at a wolf sanctuary in FL, I have mixed feelings. My time there crystallized the fact that wolves can never be pets, and the market that attempts to make them such is more cruel than the hunting of wild wolves.

Working with former ranchers, the credibility of financial and human threat isn't as high as it is with mountain lions, but its not nothing either.

When I lived in Alaska we had a huge tourism industry and a tiny ranching industry, when the poster wolf for the pack at the opening of Denali was killed in 2001, the shooter never came forward, because there was no local sympathy ... on the other hand we did kill and eat grizzly because park officials felt strongly that the population inside the park hadn't picked up any bad habits, and it was worth one kill to keep it that way. Sometimes you have to be the bad guy, and it can be a more ethical decision than eating pounds of pork simply because you don't fancy anthropomorphizing hogs.

Bottom line ... keeping a healthy population with its own space is everyone's shared goal, but strategy for individual cases is best left to local professionals, and not nerds like me.

Guys, please let's keep this respectful. Thanks.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

wow! they are much bigger than I thought... I kinda picture wolf just like big German Shepherd!! excuse me but I living in the city all my life. lol
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I agree with Eric. I found the photos disturbing. I always find hunting/trophy photos disturbing. IDK, braggng about killing something doesn't seem right to me. Just this gun toting lefty's opinion.

Last time I saw a wolf was camping in Northern Utah/south idaho and it was just a scrawny litte thing, those are some well fed wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I agree with Eric. I found the photos disturbing........... IDK, braggng about killing something doesn't seem right to me. Just this gun toting lefty's opinion.
    I do not understand why people argue about this?? there are hundred posted pic./video about how to dismembered/killing fish in KKF. Doesn't all life created equally?? just
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I'm with the wolves on this one. Clearly, the subtext was "Dancing With Wolves", and the photos were intended to be amusing.
    While I'm sure many found them so, I did not.
    There several are regions of this country that, over the years, I have avoided re-visiting; always because of the people, never because of the wildlife.