Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: the wolves of winter

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Hey Guys. I am Sorry if the photos disturbed anyone. My only intent was to show just HOW BIG THEY ARE. I did not or have I ever killed a wolf. That is not to say if I see one of these BIG ba$t@rd$ in my yard or drive way that I won't shoot it. These wolves since there reintroduction in the 90's have over populated and pretty much decimated the wild herds of dear and elk but also have eaten there fair share of cattle and sheep in the area.
    So like brain sausage posted posted I was only trying to convey that is was a little disconcerting to have them so close to the house. they are deffinately not scared of humans cautious yes scared no. I followed they tracks in the fresh snow, around the house under the car port over to the barn and around it and then up the hill.

I also didn't subtitle the photos as "Dancing with wolves" that was someone else's post.

You should get a tibetan mastiff, Bill. Supposedly the Tibetans trained them to fight off packs of wolves, not to mention they look awesome.

Name:  Wolf_SwingShiftCinderella.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  29.0 KB
    The proper way to dispatch a wolf.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

WOW!! Lots of opinions....so here's mine. If a PREDATOR(human or animal) is either to bold or to stupid to come to my home it will be removed promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    WOW!! Lots of opinions....so here's mine. If a PREDATOR(human or animal) is either to bold or to stupid to come to my home it will be removed promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    A different opinion here. WHY is the predator at your home? Have you created an environment attractive to the predator--garbage they can get into, tasty small pets left outside, etc? If you live in an area with a large population of predators, if you don't get rid of what's attracting them, even if you "remove" one, you'll just have another one moving in. Are they coming in on a seasonal basis or just moving through? When we lived in Florida, we had a fancified retention pond at the front of the neighborhood. Every breeding season when the alligators started getting frisky and moving around, we'd end up with a gator in the pond. If you left them alone, they'd stay for several days and move on. This would happen a few times every breeding season. No real reason to kill or remove them--they'd move on soon and the neighborhood would post a sign telling people to watch out for the gator.

Now when you walk into a bathroom at work at o-dark-thirty and see this, there's more of a reason to take action:

Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Well with me the wolves are slowly spreding accross the state. they move into an area and bread and expand their pack until the large ungulate population is for the most part wiped out and then they move on to domestic animals and pets. there is also always a few that discover that kittys, puppies, sheep, cows, horses etc are way easier to hunt and kill than deer, elk, moose etc.

Sounds like there are valid reasons for managing the wolf packs in your area. The attitude of "it's a (wolf/gator/panther/snake/etc) KILL IT" without any thought behind it gets on my nerves. Even worse are the folks who feed the animals and get them used to people--they're the ones who really need a kick in the rump.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

I agree 100% Lucretia.
    Humans tend to to some of the most dumb-assed things to upset the natural balance. Maybe we should start culling that herd.
    Oh...and you need a new leash for you gator.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Sounds like there are valid reasons for managing the wolf packs in your area. The attitude of "it's a (wolf/gator/panther/snake/etc) KILL IT" without any thought behind it gets on my nerves. Even worse are the folks who feed the animals and get them used to people--they're the ones who really need a kick in the rump.
    Couldn't agree more Lucretia.