visit to knifeland - any suggestions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutty Sharp

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all

If you could visit Sakai which maker(s) would you most like to see?

I'll be there tomorrow and will have at least a few hours, but boy you need some good Boy Scout skills to find most of them - and if you do they still just might be workshops or offices and not really suited to foreign knife-crazies suddenly appearing.

I've been there once and popped into the city Hamono museum (good for buying), Tadatsuna (good place, bought a nakiri) and Suisin (just an office). I've passed Konosuke (distribution centre) and Sakai Yusuke (looks good but was closed; will try again). I know where Sakai Takayuki/Aoki and Sakai Kikumori are, and I think I've found Ashi Hamono (Gesshin Ginga) and Yamamoto (Gesshin Hide; they seems to have some public area too). Of course there are loads of other potetial places on my list, all within a few km-square maze of steets, but I won't have a GPS or smartphone to help, mostly just a few Google map printouts and my sense of direction.

Anyway, I don't intend to go to all these places. I'm curious what some others might try in my shoes? Len/echerub thinks I should track down Ichimonji Kichikuni, but after an hour or two tonight I haven't been able to find the address and location. Don't know if anyone knows about that.

Incidentally, costs enough to be there and my wife won't be too impressed if I go on a shopping spree (perhaps I could sneak in one small purchase?). I'll mostly be there to poke around and learn more about the area, which is pleasant otherwise a pretty normal urban area in Japan.

You should definitely look into one of those knives that comes with a ho wood handle!!!!

You should definitely look into one of those knives that comes with a ho wood handle!!!!

Of course! The great thing there is that 99% of knives come in ho. Typical Japanese refinement - so soothing, classy and in good taste! :rolleyes2:

... Maybe I shouldn't shop. If I buy something I'd be under pressure to enter the re-handling contest, I'd probably win, and then as said I'd be given a psychedelic dyed burl as justified revenge!

... Well, here's a modest update and bump. Arrived 6 hours late in Sakai and too late to do anything but non-knife stuff. If the wife allows, tomorrow morn I will borrow a bike and see what I can see before we head to our next destination. (Stopped here first because it's closer to the airport than Osaka/Kyoto.) I'd still appreciate any thoughts/suggestions - not necessarily based on experience visiting here.

Have fun with both knife and non-knife stuff, Cutty! :)

Have fun Cutty! Just noticed your signature line...:lol2:

Back