Straight Razor Starter Kit Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
What would you guys recommend as a good quality straight razor for a newbie? This will be my first, not looking to break the bank on this around $200.00 for a complete kit if that is possible. I also want something I am not going to grow out of too soon either.
Thanks

I wish I asked this question a while ago! This craft is as spendy as knives! I have 4 straights already, and always looking. Good luck, there is no doubt you can get started for under $200 all in, but that is like Pandora saying I'll only open the box a little!

I would look on badger and blade's b/s/t forum, there's always starter kits on there for good prices.

Hahaha. Well put, Pierre.

PM sent. :)

One of the common recommendations is whippeddog.com, he does a starter kit for a very reasonable price. Yes to what Pierre said.

I have just started this straight razor thing, and can already see that it will cost me more than it needs to.

Agreed...at the start. However, if you're "smart" about it, and even only somewhat smart about it, you can spend much, much less than you would with regular "goo from a can, 42 blades in one cartridge, normal person" shaving.

I've found razors I love and other than a couple that I have my eye on (you know who you are), I doubt I'll buy a razor for quite a while. My vice is brushes. If I could own every Simpson brush in production, I would...same goes for Omega, Thater and Vie-Long. It's stupid...haha. However, my wife actually commented on how little I've bought for myself, lately. For that comment, I'm rewarding myself with Murray Carter's Blacksmithing book. :)

Worcester and Co. makes a nice straight thats inexpensive and very well made. I just got into this too and thats what I got from Whipped dog and I like it.

Plus some shave soap from Tom's site and you're all set.

Out of stock, at the moment, but thanks :)

There are many great products out there, and awesome vendors to boot!

Latest posts

Back