Hi from a Georgia blacksmith

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke.Snyder

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted once or twice under a different username a few days ago, but changed it upon request and didn't do a proper intro, so here it is.

I'm not a fabulous cook, though I enjoy it and am getting better, but I come at the knife obsession from the knifemaking end. I grew up with access to my dad's blacksmith shop and have always been tinkering with building knives, axes, and swords. I hunt, gather, and fish, do all my own butchering and meat processing (deer and feral hogs mostly), garden, raise chickens, and do wood, leather, and metal work. I do my best to make my own tools for these tasks, largely because I've always been a poor student and/or head of an ever-growing family. Things with edges make me giddy and 3-D visions of edge geometry keep me up at night. KKF seems like a good group of people who like high-performance edges and know a lot more about knife history and designs than I do, so I'm happy to be here with all you knife nuts!

~Luke

Welcome!! it would be great to see some pictures of your work

Welcome! I'm a huge Georgia Bulldogs fan. If I get to make it to a game this year I'd love to see your shop. Go Dawgs.

Sooooo ssoooo so many beautiful girls in Athens.

Welcome! Hubby grew up in Athens (a LOOOONG time ago!) It's a neat place.

As a Ramblin' Wreck, I will try to forgive you Georgia Bulldog fans.

Luke: welcome! Thx for the intro. Best: Eric

Welcome, I remember checking out your website a while ago, some cool stuff on there, you work with your brother making items out of some recycled steels correct? Maybe I'm mixing you up with somebody else.

Basically, yes, Adam. :)

Welcome, Luke! I'm glad you finally joined us. With your input, this forum will just get even better! Great to have you here :)

Welcome aboard Luke. Feral hog meat - sounds good.

Mike9, yes, feral hog meat is awesome. Acorn-fed lean pork with tusks and attitude. I need to get good at cured meats, but simply smoking it and doing roasts is pretty freaking good. Makes AMAZING sausage. I'm pretty interested in hearing what knives ya'll like to use for whole-animal butchery, perhaps I'll start a thread on that soon!

Yes, I work with a friend using all-recycled materials, but I'm not going to show pics of our work as I don't have a paid membership yet and want to wait a while and check the place out before I take that step. I'm here to learn and participate, not market my work. Thanks again for the welcome, I look forward to getting to know you all!

~LS

Back