Left handed Mioroshi deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My fellow sous is a lefty and wants one but it seems too shy to join the forum so I'm doing some leg work for him. Does anyone know if these even exist or has used one?

Almost any task can be accomplished with whatever impliment of your choosing. If it came down to it I could break down a salmon with a large enough shard of glass but using a deba would be easier. Most people use 3 methods when butchering fish. 1: Fillet knife following the spine and around the ribs. 2: Fillet knife following the spine and scissors to cut through the ribs. 3: deba to the spine then cut through the ribs. Its just a matter of efficiency and speed.

They exist. I'm a lefty and have talked about having one made. Fine one you like and expect it to cost 50% more and take anywhere from 4-20 weeks for it to be made. Jon @ Japanese Knife Imports can help you out.

I believe Maxim can get lefty single bevelled Yoshikanes for a decent price so maybe try him?

Contact Keiichi at bluewayjapan through Ebay, and/or ask Jon at japaneseknifeimports.com or Mari at korin.com (the latter two are vendors here). Your options will be plentiful, but they won't be cheap!

I have a 180mm left handed mioroshi deba from Watanabe. I really like the knife and find myself using it frequently for all sorts of things. While lighter than a regular deba it is still a hefty knife. I have found Shinichi-san quite easy to work with.

Back