Quantcast
Giving it a try. Converting and restoring. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving it a try. Converting and restoring.

I say go all-out with the handle, but take your time like said above.

That's an awesome trick, and it's a great looking blade.

That looks awesome man!! I would say do a little practice handle and get your bearings first then work on a final handle for it!!

I missed the whole Forgecraft story, but this really looks nice, great job. The handle doesn't look bad, but I would probably also try and go all the way. Of course, I still haven't made a Western handle myself, so I should probably just shut up

Stefan

Update with questions.

HELP! I want to jump in this thing in the worst way. But I want to do it right. I got the old handle off, it was easier than I thought it would be too.

I have layed out what I think I should do to the tang. Too short? Thoughts? Also I'm thinking a one piece handle for the first try is the way to go. Thoughts? Got some blocks at Woodcraft today. Hopefully I can get one decent handle between them.

The steel under that old handle looks great. The tang looks a little short try to extend it past the second rivet hole. I hope you don't mind me adding a pic to your thread. Forgive me please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2765.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	10897  

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    What are the woods you got?
    I assume you are going full-on wa with the tang you're going for?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Yes, full-on WA has been my goal from the start really. The dark wood is ironwood, and the lighter color one I don't know. I got it from the $3 a lb. bin at Woodcraft based on it's size more than anything else.

mhenrey, pics are awesome! That picture is exactly why I asked this. The small cleaver conversion you did had the tang cut closer to how I layed mine out. I looked at the pictures again and it made me wonder. If you hadn't noticed I am very much running a copycat on what you did in that Forgecraft thread, I hope YOU don't mind. Thanks!

I don't mind at all, its cool that you are using my thread as a guide Let me re-phrase, TRY to keep the tang as long as possible. The tang you have laid out will work fine. I just think the longer the tang the stronger the knife will be. I could be wrong though

The tough part for me in relation to the tang will be drilling the handle. The longer the tang the harder it will be for me to drill. The bits I have that are the proper size are fairly short.

Looks great, but would be a shame if you converted the handle to wa.