Giving it a try. Converting and restoring.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
I have been very inspired by the stuff you folks are up to. I decided I have to give it a try. I got myself this cool old Forgecraft Chef knife. It looked worse than it really was. I used an old Indian trick I "learnt" from a grumpy old white man on it. I wet it up with some Breakfree CLP and let it sit for a day or two then I took some scotchbrite to it and it cleaned up well. Next I'll take the handle off and make the tang so it can take a WA handle. Then I guess I'll be taking my first stab handle making. ;)

Any tips or advice is MORE than welcome.

fcraft01.jpg

fcraft02.jpg

fcraft03.jpg

fcraft04.jpg

fcraft05.jpg

WOW, that cleaned up GREAT. cool trick.

Tips, Its almost to nice to even tear the handle off. Just oil it and use that baby!

Edit: A rehandle will only make this old blade even nicer. have fun. :D

Scott that came out great, so good that I'm shocked to tell you the truth. Breakfree CLP, eh?

Scott that came out great, so good that I'm shocked to tell you the truth. Breakfree CLP, eh?

Yup. Been using it on guns to remove surface rust for years, after that old fart clued me in on the trick. Just get it wet with the stuff and let sit a day or two. It gets the rust but won't hurt the blue. Then there was a lot of rubbing with scotchbrite pads (synthetic steel wool pads to be more specific). I keep it fairly wet with the CLP while rubbing it out too. I think regular steel wool would work too?

Wow, that looks great. Nice job!

My only advice on the handle is have fun and take it slow.

That look's brand new ! very cool

Looks great, that's a killer clean-up job. I'd leave it alone for a while and just use it as-is!
A new handle will be great though.

Sweet - in stock form it's a great "sleeper" knife.

I say go all-out with the handle, but take your time like said above.

That's an awesome trick, and it's a great looking blade.

That looks awesome man!! I would say do a little practice handle and get your bearings first then work on a final handle for it!!

I missed the whole Forgecraft story, but this really looks nice, great job. The handle doesn't look bad, but I would probably also try and go all the way. Of course, I still haven't made a Western handle myself, so I should probably just shut up ;)

Stefan

HELP! I want to jump in this thing in the worst way. But I want to do it right. I got the old handle off, it was easier than I thought it would be too. :cool2:

I have layed out what I think I should do to the tang. Too short? Thoughts? Also I'm thinking a one piece handle for the first try is the way to go. Thoughts? Got some blocks at Woodcraft today. Hopefully I can get one decent handle between them.

fcraft06.jpg

fcraft07.jpg

The steel under that old handle looks great. The tang looks a little short try to extend it past the second rivet hole. I hope you don't mind me adding a pic to your thread. Forgive me please

IMG_2765.jpg

What are the woods you got?
I assume you are going full-on wa with the tang you're going for?

Yes, full-on WA has been my goal from the start really. The dark wood is ironwood, and the lighter color one I don't know. I got it from the $3 a lb. bin at Woodcraft based on it's size more than anything else.

mhenrey, pics are awesome! That picture is exactly why I asked this. The small cleaver conversion you did had the tang cut closer to how I layed mine out. I looked at the pictures again and it made me wonder. If you hadn't noticed I am very much running a copycat on what you did in that Forgecraft thread, I hope YOU don't mind. ;) Thanks!

I don't mind at all, its cool that you are using my thread as a guide Let me re-phrase, TRY to keep the tang as long as possible. The tang you have laid out will work fine. I just think the longer the tang the stronger the knife will be. I could be wrong though

The tough part for me in relation to the tang will be drilling the handle. The longer the tang the harder it will be for me to drill. The bits I have that are the proper size are fairly short.

Looks great, but would be a shame if you converted the handle to wa.

Your tang looks angled down too much IMO. It'd make the handle be lower at the butt end than the ferrule end, unless you drill a crooked tang slot into the handle. If anything, I'd angle the tang a tiny bit up relative to the rest of the knife.

Edit: I take that back. I personally would make the center line of the tang parallel to the spine of the knife like Mike did on his.

Your tang looks angled down too much IMO. It'd make the handle be lower at the butt end than the ferrule end, unless you drill a crooked tang slot into the handle. If anything, I'd angle the tang a tiny bit up relative to the rest of the knife.

Edit: I take that back. I personally would make the center line of the tang parallel to the spine of the knife like Mike did on his.

Good eye. I agree on getting the center line parallel with the spine (which means angling it up a bit). Should make things a bit easier down the road.

Latest posts

Back