Hollywood comes to It's a Burl

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I came into work today and there was equipment and strangers all over the place.
Turns out that they are using our place to film part of a movie.
It is a story about a lady who lives in a retirement home who decides to walk from Grants Pass out through the redwoods and to the coast. I tried to get some photos but they asked me to stay back away from the actors and where they are filming.
They have been polite so I am staying out of the way.

Here are a few photos from before they asked me to wait until later.
The guy who is playing Harvey is the guy who was the flight instructor in the movie Top Gun.

m002-1.jpg

m003.jpg

m001-1.jpg

m004.jpg

You got yerself mighty scenic spot there, boy howdy!

Cool, and I cant think of a better pace to film a movie them ITS A BURL! that whole place is amazing!!

The guy who is playing Harvey is the guy who was the flight instructor in the movie Top Gun.

Tom Skeritt.

Was in the original M.A.S.H. movie (Altman), A River Runs Through It (Redford), Picket Fences (tv) etc., etc... geez, the guy is closing in on 80 yrs old?

"Quiet on the set... ACTION ! !"

At first it was kind of fun and exciting.
20 minutes later it started to get a little annoying being told as ADD put it "quiet on the set".
Seems every time I was trying to do something it was going to interfere with the filming.
Eventually I called it an early day.

The equipment and support staff were very friendly.
Photographers on edge and the actors a bit stand-offish.

Tom gave me the "hairy eyebrow look" when he noticed me taking the last photo.
But later was a bit more sociable. Turns out he is a hobbyist woodworker.

This morning they are removing the heavy equipment and saying their goodbyes.

Fantastic place to film, I expect they will be back for more. It is disruptive though, I had a film crew in my workshop once, they just needed a blacksmith shop not me. I gave them a day rate based on me being able to get on with something at the other end of the workshop. But they are a demanding lot.. It seemed I could only work so long as it made no noise what so ever,,,,,,:nono: At one point they sent their poor runner boy out to ask the double hard site road sweeper man to be quiet. I can only imagine the verbal abuse he received, he returned quite pale and the road sweeping continued.:laugh:

Tom Skeritt.

Was in the original M.A.S.H. movie (Altman), A River Runs Through It (Redford), Picket Fences (tv) etc., etc...

Don't forget Alien and Up in Smoke!

I forgot to mention the name of the movie will be "Redwood Highway".
I think we were just one of the unusual stops along the way.
My understanding is this is one of those sorts of movie that may show in some of the film festivals and then go straight to video.

Kirby tried his darndest to get a starring part in the movie including spending a lot of time up in the tree houses.
Finally one of the interns was given the full time job of keeping him entertained and out of the way.

I tried to tell them that if they wanted the film to be more realistic they should;
have her sleeping bag get stolen by a meth freak,
have her get bitten by a homeless person's dog,
and finally take a job as a trimmer for a marijuana grower so she could afford a bus ticket home.
I was told that it wasn't that kind of movie.

I think you should make your version. Can I be in it?, Im versatile:groucho:

Kirby tried his darndest to get a starring part in the movie including spending a lot of time up in the tree houses.
Finally one of the interns was given the full time job of keeping him entertained and out of the way.

have her get bitten by a homeless person's dog,
Yes, Kirby can play the dog! You can be Kirby's agent and keep all the profits. Can I play Kirby's homeless owner?

Back