Hi from new member - Doug8066 from New Zealand

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug8066

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have just discovered this forum, after being in Freds cutlery forum for years.
I see familiar names here, and am looking forward to learning and contributing.
Thank you for the welcome
Doug

Welcome Doug, how is the weather in New Zealand?
Is Doug our 1st Kiwi member?

Thanks everyone for your cordial welcome.
Yes I might be the first Kiwi member of the forum. For those interested, our weather here is late Spring, and not very good. Unusually stormy and cool. You would have to talk to Baramoondy (spelling?) to get reports on summer weather. He lives in the tropics
Can someone please tell me, how long has this forum been going?

Thanks

Doug

Hey mate, great to find another kiwi here I just "officially" joined myself!
I thought I'd seen you before on other forums! still a great fan of multi-step stropping? :)

Hey mate, great to find another kiwi here I just "officially" joined myself!
I thought I'd seen you before on other forums! still a great fan of multi-step stropping? :)

Hi Chilli,
Yes, that's me. Actually what I was doing was playing around/experimenting with different abrasives and substrates. That was many months ago, and I'm still playing around. Good quality Chromiun Oxide powder 0.5micron on hard leather is probably as good as anything. I have a big pot of CrO powder that I bought from Dave Martell a couple of years ago. I have enough to last me 3 or 4 lifetimes.
Diamond paste on cheap artist particle board or on balsa wood also works well, but is messy. Or you could go the expesive route and buy a Shapton Glasstone 30,000 grit and never need to strop.
BTW - my normal finishing stone is a Naniwa SS 10,000 or Shapton Pro 15,000. After using these, the knives are very very sharp, but stropping still makes a difference.
Lovely sunny day here in Palmy North. About time
Regards
Doug

Back