Quantcast
My 1st real Wa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st real Wa

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.

My 1st real Wa

I tried my first mortise and tenon wa today. I glued it all up a few days ago, and had today off to screw around with it. I assumed this was going to be easy and had visions of perfectly angled and planed octogan wa's..........
    ........not so much.
    I have no prior woodworking experience and am teaching myself via the trial and error method. I tend to learn a lot more from my failures than my successes.
    And let me say I've been learning a lot lately!!!

I rehandled my Tojiro Nakiri. It's a cheapo that I actually do like. It cuts well for the $50 price.
    Knowing that I am sure to screw this one up, I went to my local Woodcraft store and bought some budget knife handle blocks. I think I spent about $20 and got (it was labeled as) African Blackwood and Redwood Burl. Neither one looked great, but they ended up being decent pieces and I've even got enough leftover to do a small wa next.
    It's not straight, equilateral or even close to correct. But I'll give it a shot and see how she does. I can always go back and take a little more off later.
    I do think the wood is pretty. I think I got lucky this time.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've got Mike Henry's phone #. I'm going to call him soon for some advice, as soon as I figure exactly how much it is that I don't know.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Nice job!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Looks nice. What epoxy/glue did you use to attach it and how did you get the handle off? I have the 210 from the same line, love the blade, hate the handle.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    What epoxy/glue did you use to attach it and how did you get the handle off?
    I use a CA gap filling epoxy. I thought I could just chisel the handle off, but I ended up having to cut (with a dremel cutting wheel) at the top and bottom of the spine.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I was at knerd's house this evening for dinner and visiting the grandkids (and washing some clothes). Tried twice to sneak that nakiri out the door, but no luck.
    Besides, the cleaver that I already stole does a fine job for prepping most of my meals!

you learn a lot from the first ones. way to go chris
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

looks comfortable. Use the disk,not the belt. make a square and knock off the corners. Octagon.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

That looks great, nice score with the wood too! I'd be more than happy if i could pull off something like that on the first go!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I know some (including me) think that the rounded square handles like this don't look as nice as the octagons, but I really do think they feel more comfortable in my hand than handles with sharp corners. Nice work.

That looks good knerd - congrats and welcome to the dark side. I like the Shirogami line too. They are hard to beat for the price and once they are tuned up they rock.