Thread: First western handle attempt

First western handle attempt

So I bought this kit for $20 bucks off Of Jantz supplies it came with a block of diamond wood and Brass pins and the full tang 16" fish knife. It gave me a little direction to follow and basic idea of what to do, which was pretty good to get me started but the rest was a little trial and error. I had alot of fun making it and now I have a sweet little Fish knife!! (not really little) I know the flaws I have in it and I think it was a pretty good attempt!

Nice work! Reminds me vaguely of an old-style Snap-On screwdriver handle. I'll bet it's incredibly comfortable.

Yeah, the blade and the handle both look very nice! Good work

Looks good, and I know how the camera picks up little things that wouldn't bother me at all in real life. So, what's next?

Stefan

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Looks good. That seems like a great place to start. Full tang is the way to go for your 1st westerns. I've got a partial tang I want to work on, but I'm still kinda working it out in my head.
    Why don't you look on ebay to try and find an old knife with a full tang to do next?
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

Thanx guys! I have a russel International that I found years ago and thinking about doing that one as my next western project, but in progress I have a Chinese Clever that I am putting a wa style handle on. the handle in together just being shaped hopefully by the end of this week if i get some time to do it!
    Curious to know what is a good polish to use on handles or compound to really make them shine?

I find diamond wood way too hard to work with compared to stabilized wood, how did you cut it?