Quantcast
Your Favorite Pastrami and Recipes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Pastrami and Recipes

I do my brine percentages based on the combined weight of liquid and protein(in grams for accuracy). A brining pump is a great suggestion, they're fairly cheap, and cut your brining time in half. Here's my pastrami:

2% kosher salt
    2% brown sugar
    .5% whole black pepper
    .4% whole coriander
    .25% cure #1
    .25% garlic powder
    .25% onion powder
    .25% whole white pepper
    .1% crushed red pepper flake
    .1% whole allspice
    .05% mace

Before smoking, I crust the meat with a 40/40/20 blend of coarse ground pepper-coriander-brown sugar. I prefer my pastrami sliceable, as opposed to pulled. But I've used this recipe for both applications and it worked great either way. Hope this helps

The Brine seems to be well covered here already, I have to say that there is no sugar involved in any pastrami I have ever made or eaten.

Pastrami rub
    4T Pepper med grind
    1t ground coriander
    1t granulated garlic
    1t granulated onion
    1/2 t thyme
    1t paprika
    1 t juniper berries

Grind all spices fairly fine and liberally coat corned beef
    Smoke until tender 195-205
    Slice thin and enjoy with a homemade pickle

Jim in the interest of me being curious, what is your brineing recipe and procedure?

Also has anyone ever tried to use moose instead of beef? I seem to be sitting on 500 pounds of the stuff at the moment, aging in the cold room.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Jim in the interest of me being curious, what is your brineing recipe and procedure?

Also has anyone ever tried to use moose instead of beef? I seem to be sitting on 500 pounds of the stuff at the moment, aging in the cold room.
    Pierre,

I have done it with venison with great results, I can't imagine moose would be bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I do my brine percentages based on the combined weight of liquid and protein(in grams for accuracy). A brining pump is a great suggestion, they're fairly cheap, and cut your brining time in half. Here's my pastrami:

2% kosher salt
    2% brown sugar
    .5% whole black pepper
    .4% whole coriander
    .25% cure #1
    .25% garlic powder
    .25% onion powder
    .25% whole white pepper
    .1% crushed red pepper flake
    .1% whole allspice
    .05% mace

Before smoking, I crust the meat with a 40/40/20 blend of coarse ground pepper-coriander-brown sugar. I prefer my pastrami sliceable, as opposed to pulled. But I've used this recipe for both applications and it worked great either way. Hope this helps
    To me, it would seem that you would need some kind of minimum amount of water to make sure that you have enough brine (and from what I gather, most importantly, enough salt) for the meat. If you use very little water and a heavy piece of meat, it would also seem that you could end up with a disproportionate ratio of brine to meat, e.g. 2000 gram piece of meat, 500 grams of water (approximately one pint or two cups of water), which would result in using 50 grams of salt, which, if using Diamond Kosher Salt (at 5 oz per cup) is only about one and a half ounces of salt and just over one quarter of a cup of salt (if my calculations are correct) for two cups of water.

Would this amount of brine be sufficient for a 4.4. pound brisket flat? (The flats I'm going to use are about this size).
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post

I would love to try it with moose. I cannot see why it would not be terrific.

Brine
    1 gallon water
    2 cups kosher salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    5 tsp. pink salt

You can add any combination of spices/herbs you like.
    I would double or triple this as needed, as long as the meat has plenty of room in the container it will be fine. 5-6 days for a flat or 7-8 for full packers.

I soak for one day in clear water before rubbing and smoking @ 325 until probe tender 195-200 range, but let the meat tell you, not the thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    To me, it would seem that you would need some kind of minimum amount of water to make sure that you have enough brine (and from what I gather, most importantly, enough salt) for the meat. If you use very little water and a heavy piece of meat, it would also seem that you could end up with a disproportionate ratio of brine to meat, e.g. 2000 gram piece of meat, 500 grams of water (approximately one pint or two cups of water), which would result in using 50 grams of salt, which, if using Diamond Kosher Salt (at 5 oz per cup) is only about one and a half ounces of salt and just over one quarter of a cup of salt (if my calculations are correct) for two cups of water.

Would this amount of brine be sufficient for a 4.4. pound brisket flat? (The flats I'm going to use are about this size).
    Sorry, I completely forgot to mention the fluid ratios

I typically do about 1 gallon to every 10 pounds of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The Brine seems to be well covered here already, I have to say that there is no sugar involved in any pastrami I have ever made or eaten.

Pastrami rub
    4T Pepper med grind
    1t ground coriander
    1t granulated garlic
    1t granulated onion
    1/2 t thyme
    1t paprika
    1 t juniper berries

Grind all spices fairly fine and liberally coat corned beef
    Smoke until tender 195-205
    Slice thin and enjoy with a homemade pickle

That looks quite delicious Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    That looks quite delicious Jim!
    Why thanks!

I posted a pastrami I made earlier here. I dry cured my brisket instead of using a wet brine.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...mi-Texas-style!