Quantcast
Your Favorite Pastrami and Recipes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Pastrami and Recipes

Your Favorite Pastrami and Recipes

I thought I'd throw this question out here since I've only had little luck in finding this information online.

I have several 3 lb brisket flats that I want to turn into pastrami. I've found a few recipes that seem promising, but I'm really looking for recipes that are super accurate (ingredients by weight) and consistent. I would also rather work with actual recipes, rather than pre-made blends, so I can adjust as I'd like.

That being said, would any of you be willing to share your favorite pastrami (in the hopes of being able to find recipes for these places) or recipes? Or books that include pastrami recipes? Personally, I'm looking to do the brine, rub, then smoke and steam method to make hand-sliced pastrami.

FWIW, I'm a big Langer's fan. I was also pretty impressed by the pastrami at Umamicatessen - a little inconsistent, but when good, it was pretty damn good!. I wasn't impressed with the pastrami at Carnegie and have never had Katz's (the next time I'm in NY, I'm getting my fill for sure!).

Thanks in advance!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

"Charcuterie" by Brian Polcyn has at least one pastrami recipe in it as well as a ton of other great recipes for various sausages and cured meats. Well worth the money spent.

I wasn't impressed by carnagie either...it was definitely good and I wish we had one in Little Rock...but it's competing in the wrong neighborhood.

I haven't been there since 2006 but "new holland deli" near wall + broad was damned good.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Check out 'Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing' by Rytek Kutas. The layout is a little funky but it is a great resource.

Max09 - Are you a real person?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Max09 - Are you a real person?
    Max (also known as Harry) is a robot. Don't click the link in his sig, that's how he gets paid.

Max is gone - thanks Jack

I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Good link Son. I'm gonna have to try this.
    Thanks for asking this Mike.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index....products_id=25

I highly recommend this brine pump for doing cured meats. It is a large syringe but the needle has holes on all sides. Your cure will be distributed evenly from the word go. It will cut down on your cure time which means the product will be safer and more consistent. I use it for corned beef and hams with good results.

Thanks, everyone. I've gotten some good info. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to making the brine this weekend.

If I do, I'll put pictures up of the process.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

+ Reply to Thread