Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prefered steel for a deba?

Mike Davis just finished one up, and knowing him, it's likely very well executed and thought out. Not to mention, since it is Mike, he likely has 3-43 more in the works . I'm sure he'll be a guy to watch in the single bevel world. Then there's Butch and Randy who have the means and skills, not to mention the motivation to pull a proper one off.

I'm not saying these guys will be cheap, or have one for you yet, but you asked which Western makers are doing single bevels, and the three I mentioned all have.

By the way, I'm in the same boat, and always on the lookout for a good cheap single bevel. However, I'm hoping Mike allows me to be his guinea pig. Unfortunately, all I can catch in the winter is muskie or pickerel. Haha.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Aye, seen Mike's work. Looks solid for a first attempt, well impressed. I hope to try atleast one knife from Butch or Randy in the future, maybe I when I finish my qualification I'll treat myself

In all honesty, if I was to go custom for a deba, I'd probably hit up TC. I was recently in contact with him and he proved to be a true gentleman, an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Ta,
    Josh

Yeah, his knives AND shaving gear are impressive, to say the least.
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by JKerr View Post
    Though I'm sure I would be a lot cooler if I owned a Gesshin Hide deba...perhaps not in reality, but probably here .

Josh
    I totally know what you mean haha

In total honesty, I dont really get it why would any western makers attempt to produce single bevels. I guess its just money - chase.
    Dont tell me they can get any better.
    What I mean is, custom will always be just custom, is it better anyhow?, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The thing is, they[japanesos]ve been doing that for so long, ad its a part of their culture, on top of that there is plenty to choose from in any price range. And available right away. Hard working-class knives, not show pieces.
    You can get a deba from ebay now for under 100 bucks, most likely far from perfect but it will cut.

It's not about perfection, sometimes. I understand your point, but I don't believe that our western makers have a genetic predisposition that gives them an inability to make single bevel knives. Practice, repetition and studying what makes them work and work well is what gives ability.

To get a guy from these forums to make a single bevel is partly to support the maker, partly to see what they are capable of and also because it just intrigues the customer.

This is one point that I just truly don't agree with. Do the three guys (for example) that I mentioned earlier make single bevels at the same level as 'x' maker from Japan? Perhaps not, but I am sure that they can eventually get to that level. Als, maker 'y' might make a product that can't hold a candle to that of a skilled western maker.

Maybe it's just me....
    09/06

Make it affordable. Either ours start to make them only and devote their career to single bevels or every piece will loose in direct comparison value/money.
    Think about it. 21 cm deba for 275 dollars. With sheath.

Take an example, when it comes to cooking, I stopped learning about sushi, cause either I wash rice first for 5 years and learn every step of the way or it doesnt count and I feel like I dont know enoough.
    Now, I cannot afford to wash rice for next five years, and to work in sushi bar from early morning to late night everyday, thats why its time to be honest, I will never turn out to be sushi chef. Then I focus on french/european or whatever you call it.

Not much of that in western world, I know. People try to cover as much, and thin themselves down as much as they possibly could. Like it more cool or something
    Look at the primabalerina chefs these days in the western world, in their cooking shows they seem ilke they know about everything, from asian cuisines to wine, from butchering to scallop harvesting.
    Now, compare it to Jiro Ono...

Hmmm. I agree, it's good to stay focussed, but I dunno.... I tap.
    09/06

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    I have worked very hard to get to where I can make an acceptable single bevel. I don't know where a guy could get a deba made with 52100 anywhere but a custom. I do think 52100 can be tougher and hold an edge as long or longer than the paper steels.

Add to my list, Bill Burke.
    09/06

On the issue of length , my Yoshikane deba is 180mm on the edge ( 195mm tip to handle ) . I've used this knife on quite a variety of different sized and shaped fish , from 1kg fish up to a 15kg spanish mac and large 6kg plus reds , never have I felt I needed more blade length . I also own a 240mm mioroshi that has never touched a fish and in my hands probably never will.
    I've also taken to using my western deba to cut the rib bones and heads off thus keeping the Yoshi's edge in better shape.
    It took me a while to realy warm to deba use , but wouldn't go back to flexy fillet knives now.